Mechanic recommendation Eastern Long Island.

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Re: Mechanic recommendation Eastern Long Island.

Post by fp55scca » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:49 pm

--Hi Scott. Let's do a quick review here. It's a pretty good bet that your leak is not from the front main seal, the rear main seal, or the speedo drive gear on the side of the gearbox. The leak you describe is either from the rear casing gasket, a cracked rear casing, or from one/both of the upper rear casing studs that go through to the inside of the 5th gear/reverse gear section, and need RTV to seal them (like the #2 and #4 studs on the exhaust manifold).

--You can inspect/verify this without spending a lot of $, or removing the gearbox from the car. You will need to drop the "rear" of the transmission down to inspect/verify your leak. You can do this without disconnecting the driveshaft:

--Step one, remove the shift boot and shifter extension. Place the gearshift forward in 1st, 3rd or 5th gear. Now with the car on jack stands, place you jack under the rear casing of the gearbox. Place a piece of cardboard or a towel behind the camboxes to protect the firewall from damage when the engine tilts back. Remove two nuts from the studs on the center support bearing bracket, and two nuts from the transmission support, allowing both brackets to sag down. Now slowly lower you jack until it is no longer supporting the transmission.

--At this point you will have a better view of the rear casing, and access to the upper nuts on the casing. Check torque on the nuts with a box-end wrench. Inspect the casing carefully around these nuts for any sign of a crack in the casing. Visually inspect the shift tower for cracks or leaks. You should not have leaks at the shift tower, because the transmission is splash lubricated and oil should not rise to the tower.

--You can tighten the rear casing nuts with a box end wrench, and remove and seal the upper studs with RTV, but a cracked rear casing presents a much bigger problem. It is possible to replace the rear casing without removing the transmission, but not recommended. Please let us know what you find.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:20 am

--Just an update. On Monday 10 Oct., Scott has an appointment with another local mechanic to inspect his leaky gearbox issue. Depending on the findings, and the outcome of Monday's appointment, Scott may still need some assistance. Did I mention that he has a hip-replacement surgery coming up that limits his agility?

--Was hoping to perhaps hear from John G. or Joe D. ? Maybe you guys have some local recommendations if Scott has to pull the gearbox? Thanks!
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
jgoodfellow
duemila club
Last Name: Goodfellow
First Name: John

Post by jgoodfellow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Greetings Jim &Co. I am late to the party, just came back from a long weekend in Virginia, of all places! :lol:

I met a guy a few years ago who had an Alfa Coupe and a Fiat or two, who was out in Bridgehampton.
I have the impression he had a shop, and could work on cars. It will take me a while to think of his name.

There is another guy I have used in the last year or so who specialized in Benz and Bimmers, but has a strange
fondness for old Fiats from his youth. He is in Wading River, which is not next door to Southampton, but might be
a good option. What year is Simon's car?

Thanks

John
'84 Pinin Spider Azzurra
'72 124 Sport Spider
Long Island, NY
Sscottdvm
Last Name: Simon
First Name: Scott

Post by Sscottdvm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks John

It’s a 1971. I’d really appreciate it if you could find the name of the mechanic in Bridgehampton. Wading River is about an hour drive and getting the car there and getting back could be difficult. There aren’t a lot of older Fiats out here ( plenty of high end Italian cars) therefore most mechanics aren’t really interested in transmission work. If they are, they’ve probably not worked on too many. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated

Scott
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:15 am

HI
I have no personal connection to anyone that can actually help you any longer… There is a shop on 27 in Bridgehampton ?? that I pass all the time when out on the east end... just there last week …. Always lots of old cars, most recently a couple of 124 spiders.... out front … no idea of the shops name or the individuals that run it. I want to say , it is located on the stretch were Bob Grossman used to be (a lifetime ago) …. All of my actual techs/mechanics are gone, either retired, moved away, or died When you reach a stage in life(senior years) and still play with old cars things like professional car transporters become necessary to get things done … best advice... get a local to pull the transmission and ship to Jon Logan for expert service.

As an example my last mechanic(late 20's something dude) was very competent and accommodating to basically do whatever I wanted done on my 124 … with me standing there , assisting and or taking direction … it worked out very well on multiple projects or basic maintenance ….. he relocated a couple of months ago … I an now "grooming" another tech, a south American man who is eager to learn about them old Italian cars
Joe DeGasperis
jgoodfellow
duemila club
Last Name: Goodfellow
First Name: John

Post by jgoodfellow » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:38 am

Hiya Scott;

I got in touch with Fred Frey, who actually used to live in Hampton Bays, not Bridgehampton.
It's been a few years, but he had work done on his Fiat by the owner of a shop in town, who owned a Spider
and had worked on a lot of them Fred feels that they could easily take care of your re-seal for you.

The Garage
171 Montauk Hwy, Hampton Bays, NY 11946
(631) 728-0200

Fred added that the best place on Long Island to take the car would be the Alfa Clinic in Baldwin.
Real Italian guys, no nonsense, really know their stuff. But if you want to keep the driving to a minimum
I would talk with the owner of The Garage.

Now, the joint the Joe D is talking about, you must have passed a million times

It's called Rit-Lyn Motors LTD
1640 Montauk Hwy, Water Mill, NY 11976
(631) 537-2354

Here's a google street view of the place:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9274393 ... 312!8i6656

As Joe said, there are always an odd collection of old Alfa's, Mercedes, Fiats and whatever else scattered around the yard.
Maybe they are customer cars, maybe they buy them, fix them up and sell them, I don't know.
The place looks a bit sketchy to me, but I know nothing about their operation. You would have to do some online
research for reviews.

If you can't get it done out east, Wading river is not a tough ride, let me know and I will see if my guy there
has availability in the near future.

Good luck,

John
'84 Pinin Spider Azzurra
'72 124 Sport Spider
Long Island, NY
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 am

--Thank you John and Joe, I knew you guys would come through!
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
Sscottdvm
Last Name: Simon
First Name: Scott

Post by Sscottdvm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks John and Joe,

Rit-lyn is the collision repair section of Corrigans. The owner, Steve already looked at the car and agreed that yes, it has a transmission leak and would probably need it pulled. He no longer does transmission work which is why I’m on my search.
I will call the place in Hampton Bays and see if they want to work on it.
Again, thanks for the help
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:17 pm

SimcaBertone66 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:15 am
HI
I have no personal connection to anyone that can actually help you any longer… There is a shop on 27 in Bridgehampton ?? that I pass all the time when out on the east end... just there last week …. Always lots of old cars, most recently a couple of 124 spiders.... out front … no idea of the shops name or the individuals that run it. I want to say , it is located on the stretch were Bob Grossman used to be (a lifetime ago) …. All of my actual techs/mechanics are gone, either retired, moved away, or died When you reach a stage in life(senior years) and still play with old cars things like professional car transporters become necessary to get things done … best advice... get a local to pull the transmission and ship to Jon Logan for expert service.

As an example my last mechanic(late 20's something dude) was very competent and accommodating to basically do whatever I wanted done on my 124 … with me standing there , assisting and or giving direction … it worked out very well on multiple projects or basic maintenance ….. he relocated a couple of months ago … I an now "grooming" another tech, a south American man who is eager to learn about them old Italian cars
Joe DeGasperis