Steering Column Bearing

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
scubachris
Last Name: Cheramie
First Name: Chris

Steering Column Bearing

Post by scubachris » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Tried getting the bearing in for my steering column and it is a mother. Do they need to be pressed in? Beating them using a piece of wood and hammer isn't getting the job done.

Thanks
lanciahf
Last Name:

Re: Steering Column Bearing

Post by lanciahf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Spider? On a 69 spider I was working on, the ones I got from Auto Ricambi went right it
Ralph DeLauretis
2013 Fiat 500 POP
1984 Pininfarina Spider
Recovering Scorpion Owner.
cgranju
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm

is there any adjustment of the bearings? I have at least one column that needs some bearing help, but luckily enough I've managed to never have the chance to change these in my tenure of Fiat ownership so far!
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 pm

--Chris C. : You didn't specify which vehicle, but if a Spider, apparently the later ones (84-85.5) use two bushings in the column, while the 1966-83 use two bearings. You do discuss having difficulty inserting a "bearing", so......The Haynes manual describes the bearing as a "push fit" (not "press"), while the 124 Factory Service Manual doesn't address the process at all. I do remember having difficulty inserting these bearings, and I'm certain I did not use a press, but one could be used if available. I may have used a section of copper pipe as a drift, but I can't recall. As usual, getting them started is the trick.

--Chris G. : There is no adjustment on the bearings per se, but the bearings are retained in the steering column with upper and lower springs which are quite strong. I seem to recall inserting an extra washer on the shaft before replacing the lower spring, to increase the pressure on the bearings? Also, the Factory Manual shows an extra "bushing" below the lower bearing, that is not reflected in the Haynes Manual, and recommends replacing this "bushing" if worn. I've not seen this bushing myself, and our vendors don't seem to carry one.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider