The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Re: VAS shocks/springs anyone?

Post by PhillySpider » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:49 am

SimcaBertone66 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:19 pm
...lol Go for the Koni's, drive around the pot holes.
Lol, you don't go around them, you decide which ones you're going to hit!
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 am

We go to Philadelphia a couple of times a year and the only driving we do is over the Ben Franklin to the hotel and then reverse that when we at going home. Walk to almost everything, as much as 10- 15 miles per day ...9(urban hiking) last trip at New Years it was Uber as it was sooo cold... never noticed the roads being trashed .. ...
Joe DeGasperis
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 am

SimcaBertone66 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:22 pm
4 bills for a set of 4 shocks is not cheap, thought I saw them recently priced at 125 per shock

Of course that was also a time when the ball joints and A-Arms were so cheap they could kill you...

I was driving behind Bruce Matthews when one of the ball joints he sold, failed , sending him into a ditch ... later heard it was installed incorrectly .... oh well It was FFO 2000 in West Virginia
There is a thread on facebook where a guy is giving technical advice on how to install ball joints and shows all of them installed on the wrong sides of the arms. A recipe for collapse. I find there is a lot of that on facebook, a reason why I removed myself yesterday from all remaining FIAT related groups. Too much really bad advice from people posing as "experts" and "mechanics" or giving the advice "my mechanic with 50 years of FIAT experience" blah blah blah.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:49 am

SimcaBertone66 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 am
... never noticed the roads being trashed .. ...
I'll just have to follow you around from now on then when i go downtown. I avoid the city like the plague, the animals can have it. There are many cobble stone streets still in old city, they're actually better than most of the paved roads. About the only roads maintained are jfk, Kelly drive and ben Franklin parkway... basically if you're doing the tourist run from city hall to the art museum or Franklin institute you're good, fogetabout any of the side neighborhoods. Lost 4 tires and 2 rims between my wife and i in the last 2 years down town. Avoid them? When it's raining they look like any other puddle around them...crap shoot. As for the suburbs with the rolling back country twisties they are more gravel fill than pavement which is the problem. No hole today quickly becomes a few holes right next to each other. If you're lucky they put a cone in the deepest one till spring!
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm

[/quote]
I was driving behind Bruce Matthews when one of the ball joints he sold, failed , sending him into a ditch ... later heard it was installed incorrectly .... oh well It was FFO 2000 in West Virginia
[/quote]
----------------------------------------------------------------
--Oh boy, these things come back to haunt you, but I remember it well! I cannot tell a lie...I was the one that installed the ball joint incorrectly :oops: ( but it got Bruce all the way back to Jersey). In the hills of WV, Bruce's car in a ditch, and the sun going down, I was trying to get the new ball joint in as fast as I could, when suddenly, an old pickup truck with some guys straight out of the movie "Deliverance" showed up and asked "y'all boys need any help"? Now with the tune of "Dueling Banjos" running through my head, I probably I got a little distracted... :roll:
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
SimcaBertone66

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Jim, I remember a bunch of folks down in the ditch helping Bruce, cant recall you being there, I do remember Bruce's wife hitching a ride for the rest of the afternoon with my wife in her car. Bruce's wife was not amused one bit ...lol I think we were headed to a winery ?
Joe DeGasperis
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:40 pm

--JD, by the time I got to Bruce's car everyone else was gone. I didn't go on the "drive", but Bruce got a ride back to the hotel looking for help. I volunteered, and we scrounged up a new ball joint, I think from his own new parts stash in the back of his SUV, then headed out with a minimum of tools to do the job. As I recall, the hardest part was removing the original rivets with a dull, cold chisel, on a rickety scissors jack!

--This was my reward from Bruce for helping.....still have it today. :D
BPB T-Shirt.jpg
BPB T-Shirt.jpg (75.91 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
cgranju
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:53 pm

you couldn't make that stuff up!
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
SimcaBertone66

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:47 am

Yes indeed, "real life" stories are the best.... my 15 year old daughter Carly was my copilot that day and was in the Spider for the round trip drive from NY to WV.... I still have that car .... ! Anyone else go on the the "Smoke Hole Cavern" drive from the resort ?
Joe DeGasperis