1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
andy
Last Name:

Re: Installing Injector pig tails

Post by andy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm

Thanks, it was fun to do, looking back I think it might have been easier to pull the entire harness and rebuild it on a table. Hopefully the heat shrink does not get brittle quickly. The origional sheathing was extremely brittle after years of exposure to the heat of the engine bay.

Quick question, this car has the Altitude sensor installed (you can see it in the upper left corner of the picture with the blue rubber band around it). This is an 84 Pininfarina model, did the Pinins come with the sensor? I knew there was a circuit for it, but have never seen one until this car.

BTW the rubber band is temporary, the cover had nothing holding it in place so a little dab of RTV was used to glue it in place and the rubber band to keep it in place untl the RTV set up.
Andy Jossy
Medford, Oregon
68 124 Coupe
71 124 Spider
72 128 Autocross car
82 124 Spider
86 X1/9
88 Yugo
14 500e
spider2081
Last Name: Laborde
First Name: Dave

Post by spider2081 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:24 am

Look for AMP Junior Power Timer boots. Also, it looks like AMP uses the same (or similar) boots on their newer Superseal connectors. Dig up the right PNs and you can get most Tyco/AMP stuff through Mouser and Digikey (among others). But to save some effort:
Thanks for you post. I have found Mouser a great source for these connectors. Didn't think to post it like you did, Thanks again.
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Altitude compensator devices began to appear in the 82 model year. My car has the spot for it to be installed on the DS fender and the ecu has the plug for it. Not sure if it was actually installed on this one, the ecu plug is designed to be manually connected if in high altitude.

If you need a replacement AR carries them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

High Altitude Compensator on Azzurra

Post by rridge » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Here's a link to the California Air Resources Board certification paperwork for the '83 Azzurra Spider. The altitude compensator was required. Also I've read that all '83 and subsequent Spiders were imported with the compensator installed but perhaps not plugged in so that any could be sold to CA. I thought it was interesting that it was Pininfarina and not IAI handled the certification. Perhaps someone guessed that IAI, the U.S. importer, would not be around to handle the 7 year warranty on the emissions system that CARB required. There were additional certs filed for the 1984 and 85 models as well.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/ce ... d0_ta0.pdf
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Never understood how the birthplace of "hot Rodding" would become the nexus of the anti smog overlords .....freakin police state I tell ya ... lol
Don't they have a provision about this thing for cars over a certain age ..? In NY if a car is over 25 years old it just needs an annual safety inspection to get the bloody sticker ..
Joe DeGasperis
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 am

Never understood how the birthplace of "hot Rodding" would become the nexus of the anti smog overlords
I remember watching the sun go down over the Pacific on a summer evening in 1980 at Marina Del Ray. It didn't actually set. Rather the glow dimmed steadily and took on a blue tint. By the time the sun was at the horizon it had all but disappeared into the LA smog.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
aj81spider
Last Name:

Post by aj81spider » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:14 pm

I headed to school in Pasadena in 1983. Pasadena is in the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains (4000-10,000 feet). They dominate the skyline. I was there a week before I realized that there were mountains because the smog was so bad it completely hid them. I have a great set of pictures out my apartment window. On a clear day the mountains fill the window. On a bad day there is nothing but a gray sky - no mountains to be seen. On bad days it hurt to breathe and outdoor activities were discouraged.

California is very different today largely because of their extra stringent emissions regulations. They can sometimes be a pain, but having lived with the alternative I have some sympathy for them.

That said, I'm glad I'm on the east coast where the geography doesn't cause the smog problems of the LA basin and where the regulations are a little less draconian.
scrapironchef
Last Name: Larry
First Name: Nelson

Post by scrapironchef » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:33 pm

SimcaBertone66 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Don't they have a provision about this thing for cars over a certain age ..? In NY if a car is over 25 years old it just needs an annual safety inspection to get the bloody sticker ..
It used to be a rolling 25 years, but they stopped it at 1975 or older. Ticks me off because I bought my 79 with the intention of yanking all the smog crap within a few years of purchase, then they changed the rules on me.

I was in Beijing about a year beforre the Olympics were held there, I could not see the ground from my 20th story hotel room, and this was on a day the government had rated the air as "fair". I'll put up with some smog regs if it means I can breathe.
Larry N.

79 Blue Spider
kmead
Last Name: Karl
First Name: Mead

Post by kmead » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:32 am

aj81spider wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:14 pm
I headed to school in Pasadena in 1983. Pasadena is in the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains (4000-10,000 feet). They dominate the skyline. I was there a week before I realized that there were mountains because the smog was so bad it completely hid them. I have a great set of pictures out my apartment window. On a clear day the mountains fill the window. On a bad day there is nothing but a gray sky - no mountains to be seen. On bad days it hurt to breathe and outdoor activities were discouraged.

California is very different today largely because of their extra stringent emissions regulations. They can sometimes be a pain, but having lived with the alternative I have some sympathy for them.

That said, I'm glad I'm on the east coast where the geography doesn't cause the smog problems of the LA basin and where the regulations are a little less draconian.
Funny, I moved to Pasadena in 1987 and we still had smog alert days, several friends who had also moved there right before the start of the trimester also went a month or more before seeing Mt Wilson and its associated range, despite them being right there. By the time we left in 1993 there was already an amazing difference in the reduction of smog.

As draconion as it seems, it truly has been an effective program that has improved the quality of life there.

I now live in Michigan where if you can get it to run down the road regardless of the smoke, rust and lack of any maintenance you are welcome to drive it...
1969 850 Sport Coupe
1970 124 Sport Coupe
1985 X1/9, ugly but fun to drive. Olive trees are hell on paint and interiors apparently. Who knew?
1987 X1/9 slowly coming back
And a few appliances for day to day