Carrier bearing install

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
RicardoIII
Last Name: Landeira
First Name: Ricardo

Carrier bearing install

Post by RicardoIII » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Guys,
I'm about to install a new driveshaft carrier bearing in my '72 124 Coupe and wonder if there are any pitfalls to avoid and tips for a successful installation. If any of you have done before I'd appreciate some advice as to how best to tackle the job. I have a lift in my garage so working under the car is no biggie.
Thanks in advance
Ric
davedecker4
Last Name: Decker
First Name: Dave

Re: Carrier bearing install

Post by davedecker4 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:24 am

It can be a pain. Disconnect the driveshaft from underneath. You have to separate the two sections. This is a good time to replace any questionable u-joints. Pay attention to the order and direction of all the washers, etc. I used a large 2/3 jaw puller for replacing this and the u-joints. I found a video on youtube that cleverly demonstrates the technique. Impact wrench for the nut on the end. The rubber around my bearing was shot giving another hassle. I found a bearing remover from harbor freight for 15 bucks, that looks like flat plate with circle out of the middle, split in half and joined with two long bolts. It went around the bearing and the puller did the trick on removal of both. Hopefully that will get you started.
Dave Decker
a 'couple' Fiats and Lancia's
RicardoIII
Last Name: Landeira
First Name: Ricardo

Post by RicardoIII » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:50 am

Dave, thanks for your advice. My bearing seems to turn smoothly, it's the surrounding rubber cushion that's starting to sag and shows a crack at the top 12 o'clock position. So I thought I'd replace the complete unit and save myself a second job later on. As you describe the procedure, it sounds like patience and careful removal/reassembly will do the trick.
Ric
AZRuss124
Last Name: Wakefield
First Name: Russ

Post by AZRuss124 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Pay attention to the orientation of the bracket itself. Its not obvious which way it faces and it will preload the rubber making it wear faster if you don't keep it the same. Also mark the 2 sections of driveshaft so the go back together the same way they came apart.