Follow along as I build a 79 Spider

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
whitehause
Last Name: White
First Name: Tim

Re: Follow along as I build a 79 Spider

Post by whitehause » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Some suspension parts cleaned up and getting a coat of POR. Love this stuff right up till I get it on my hands.
Attachments
por.jpg
por.jpg (87.31 KiB) Viewed 910 times
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:31 am

--Tim. lacquer thinner as soon as possible when you get POR on yourself. Love that stuff myself, but only when metal is properly etched, or toothy enough to take it. A big waste of time/money on smooth metal. Ospho (phosphoric acid) can be used to etch/prep metals that need it. If you use their semi-gloss, I find it easier to apply subsequent coats, as you can see where you have been.

--Also, if you want to color-coat something painted with POR, you don't need their expensive tie-coat stuff. When the POR is still tacky, you can just dust-coat it with a lacquer-based primer, followed by subsequent coats of primer according to your primer instructions. Sand/paint as usual.
A lacquer based primer to me is simply one with instructions that say "clean up with lacquer thinner".
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 CSA Abarth Replica
1981 Fiat Spider Ratrod
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Yep, been using the stuff for years. It just sucks when you're trying to be carful and you have to stop and wipe it off quick. I got a 6 pack of the gloss black for the "underneath" parts. I always go gloss since it seems to rinse clean a little better than the semi. I've used Eastwoods chassis black in the past too, but I wasn't all that impressed with it. Most of the suspension parts have plenty of bite...lol, I just clean them up well with Krud Kutter, then a good scrub and rinse in super hot water. A dip in acetone and it's good to go.
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 pm

whitehause wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:24 pm
........ I got a 6 pack of the gloss black for the "underneath" parts. I always go gloss since it seems to rinse clean a little better than the semi.
-----------------------------------------------------
--Tim, good call on the "underneath" parts. Sounds like you know, but I will post for the benefit of others: Any POR that is not top-coated, will eventually turn to a nasty-looking flat-black if exposed long enough to ultraviolet light. To protect POR exposed to sunlight, you can simply top-coat as we discussed above.

--For the underside of one of my Spiders, and all suspension parts, I used "POR Chassis Coat Black". It has an original factory satin black look to it. I did this 20 years ago, and it is as fresh today as it was back then. I also undercoat my racecars with POR, including all 4 fender-wells (but I don't worry about top-coating that). This provides amazing protection to the small stones that come off of race tires that would otherwise sand-blast non-protected fender wells.

--Geeeese, you would think I get discounts from POR.....that crap is expensive. :(
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 CSA Abarth Replica
1981 Fiat Spider Ratrod
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:35 pm

fp55scca wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 pm

--Geeeese, you would think I get discounts from POR.....that crap is expensive. :(
[/quote]

That's why I get the 6 pack of 1/2 pint cans, if I screw up and forget a lid, or god forbid knock one over, it's not as expensive a mistake :D Still $50 for those though.

I like it for the chip resistance also, stuff is tough as nails. I'm getting ready to do the dust shields for the brake rotors, they should live forever. The biggest thing to remember is be VERY careful around anything with close tolerances ( control arms where the ball joints go for example, and threaded holes ) If it gets in there and dries, it's a bear to get out.
If you look at the pic above, I cram the holes with paper towels, If any tries to get in, the towels wick it and prevent it from getting down in.
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:09 pm

--Some very good points Tim!

--Again for the new user:

---After opening a can of POR, I always use a double layer of plastic wrap on the can before replacing the top. (this also helps with that "oh sh*t" moment if someone should accidently tip the can over.

---I always stir the POR and then ladle the product into another can. Never brush directly from the can. Also, never pour, or get the product in the grove for the lid, or it may never open again....And then, after each use, the POR goes back into the refrigerator. If refrigerated, an opened can of POR can last more than a year.

---I normally buy by the pint, but for planning purposes, it takes about 3 pints to do the entire underside of a Fiat Spider with two coats. POR is not applied like paint, but seems to be best when "worked" into the surface. A short, China-bristled brush works well. I buy the cheap brushes by the box a Harbor Freight, and then cut the bristles shorter to about 1".
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 CSA Abarth Replica
1981 Fiat Spider Ratrod
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:52 pm

Still just making big parts small, but getting to know the true condition a little better.
But I will say happiness is a perfect condition shock tower, that's one project I really didn't want to get into.
Attachments
wheelwell.jpg
wheelwell.jpg (121.63 KiB) Viewed 837 times
shock tower.jpg
shock tower.jpg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 837 times
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:20 am

--Tim, very nice looking wheel well and shock tower.

--Your bottom picture reflects the top of the shock tower as seen from the engine compartment. This cavity that contains the top of the shock tower has two drain holes in the bottom. Be sure that these drain holes are clean to prevent water retention, and corrosion in your shock tower.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 CSA Abarth Replica
1981 Fiat Spider Ratrod
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Houston, we have a problem.

With as good as the passenger side looked, I wasn't expecting this with the drivers side. Not a huge area but I guess I'll be cutting and welding more than just the floors.
Attachments
framehole.jpg
framehole.jpg (116.61 KiB) Viewed 788 times
bnam2
Last Name: Nambisan
First Name: Byas

Post by bnam2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:59 pm

Do also address the crack near the lower control arm mounting stud. We had a scary experience when the left front wheel lower control arm ripped out pulling our car onto oncoming traffic while driving with my wife one evening on a narrow two lane twisty hilly road not far from our el dorado hill home.
Byas
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet with 1600twin-cam
!971 VW 1302LS Convertible in original condition
1965 KG - under restoration