Is spring ever going to get here?

The all purpose conversational forum
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Is spring ever going to get here?

Post by jseabolt » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:59 pm

It looks like spring outside ( everything is green) but it sure doesn't feel like it...

We had some bitter cold temps back in January where it didn't get above freezing for weeks but so far this year the most snow we have gotten is 2" at a time here and there except for in the mountains of North Carolina and Virginia. We don't get that much down here in the valley. During that cold period in January, we got no snow at all. Just cold ass air.

As they say in the south, it's too cold to snow. Meaning if it's below 32 degrees the cold front pushes further any moisture further south. The only time it does snow is just above freezing. Rarely does it snow below 30 degrees.

We don't get that lake effect stuff.

How you guys in the Northeast handling all this snow? Looks like you keep getting hit with one snow storm after another.

May warmer weather be amongst everyone soon so we can put the tops back.
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Re: Is spring ever going to get here?

Post by friedman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:48 pm

We never really got much in the way of snow this winter but the cold temps and cloudy skies sure seem to be hanging in.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:47 pm

I was in Fort Wayne IN last weekend. It was still trying to snow but the ground temps were too high for anything to stick. Fortunately someone took a picture so I could see the cherry blossoms on the Tidal Basin. They opened and then were blown off the trees in about 24 hrs while I was traveling. I tell my friends to go to Florida in April and back for Mother's Day. Late March and all of April are completely unsettled on the Mid-Atlantic coast.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 am

I always tell people that March is really a winter month and April is like a spiteful woman who is all promise but will constantly disappoint you.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
San Jose Steve
Last Name:

Post by San Jose Steve » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:17 am

Spring sure has arrived in the SF Bay Area........ Nice to see, but it makes me realize that I never got around to the brake tubing replacement and differential rebuild job I had planned for the off-season. The arrival of spring means I need to start mowing the lawn again on weekends too. There goes another hour of wrench time lost to the yard! Ugh..... -Steve
Attachments
Driveway.JPG
Driveway.JPG (541.96 KiB) Viewed 562 times
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:47 am

My mother just moved in with us. Having lived in Florida and then San Diego for the last 20 or so years, she is not happy with our weather. She says she is not going outside until it gets "warm" outside!
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Supposed to be 70 + in NYC and burbs Friday .... making my annual pilgrimage tomorrow in that case, to get 10 gallons 110 octane for the 124 .... for the thrill ride /car show/ car's and coffee circuit for 2018 ...lol Hoping this is it ! ... Enjoy open Fiat's
Joe DeGasperis
jgoodfellow
duemila club
Last Name: Goodfellow
First Name: John

Post by jgoodfellow » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:18 pm

Sure doesn't feel like it will ever get here on Long Island. Since we are surrounded by water
it generally warms up a bit slower out here than where you are Carl, but winter is really dragging on forever this year.

Sure there's some blossoms on some of the bushes, but it's been about 30 degrees every morning going to work.
I burned a quarter of a 275 gal tank of fuel oil in the first 6 days of the year. We had 4 or 5 Nor'easters since January?
Sheesh!

Around here we are accustomed to joking that when Spring finally arrives it will last about one week and then the brutal summer heat will be upon us.
Last Sunday night it got down into the 20's so I went and brought in some logs,and lit up the fireplace to make the house cozy.
One of the few "joys of winter" we still get.

John
'84 Pinin Spider Azzurra
'72 124 Sport Spider
Long Island, NY
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Post by jseabolt » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:14 pm

It was 85 and sunny yesterday. Today (Sunday) it was 65 and a rain all day long. Monday the high is supposed to be 45 and wind gusts up to 30 mph!

So spring is trying to arrive but not quite there yet. It should be a constant 80 degrees by now.

I still prefer hot/humid weather as opposed to cold/dry air. Back in January, I don't know if it was so much the cold air but the dry air. that drove me nuts I bought one of those whole house humidifiers. My skin was so dry I couldn't stand it.

When I was in Colorado and the desert SW back in the summer of 1989, the air was so dry I itched like crazy.

It's funny, people from the SW can't get used to it being so humid when they visit the SE (or the east period) and people from the SE can't get used to the dry air when they visit the SW!

I tell people, "Yeah but it's a wet heat"....
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:42 am

It's funny, people from the SW can't get used to it being so humid when they visit the SE (or the east period) and people from the SE can't get used to the dry air when they visit the SW!
James,

Here's the secret to understanding this climate comfort issue and so much more. Change is a bitch. The body can adapt to arctic cold, jungle heat, high altitudes etc.. But as we age, the period required to adjust gets longer and longer and our willingness to work at making the needed adaptations gets lower and lower. I was impressed by John Glenn's return to space at the age of 77 because I knew there had to be some pain involved and also a lot of work.

Richard
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD