When did this all happen?

The all purpose conversational forum
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

When did this all happen?

Post by friedman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:20 am

Apparently I fell asleep for 20 years and when I woke up I went to check Fiats on Craigslist and inflation had moved the price pointer. By my review of the local Craigslist ads:
crap Fiats not worth even hauling to the dump are worth $2,000-$4,000
What I would call project cars that are clearly incomplete or stated as non-running are worth $4,000 minimum
Decent Fiats you could jump in and drive for years go for around $6,000 to $8000
"Perfect" Fiats are $12,000-$18,000... or more.

If checking eBay then ad $4,000 to each of the above.

I don't begrudge these prices, the market is what it is but I'm still stuck in the early 90s where the above prices would have been $500 for a crap car and $4,500 for a stunner.

Every so often I see a Fiat for sale on Craigslist that has a more 90s price, and they sell within minutes, obviously.

Not the first post here from me about Fiat prices, I just still find it amazing.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Re: When did this all happen?

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 am

Ha, you once accused me of dwelling in the "past" ...... been telling you, the price of your cars is way too low for a while now .... also, as you can see, by the number of replies.......... NO ONE GIVE A [expletive]
Joe DeGasperis
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Joe....I think you put me in my place, which according to my wife is either washing dishes or putting the laundry away.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
cjwaters
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cjwaters » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:22 pm

On my local CL, I just filtered for anything older than '86 and apparently there are a lot of other marques where "old" is the only qualifier for high prices. Ha!

I don't have any qualms with $10k Fiats in excellent or restored shape. Nice to see some value associated with that now. But I agree, multi-thousands for a rusty, no-title, non-runner is nuts. I've certainly purchased my share *ahem* but they always came with enough unique spares/goodies to justify the asking price.
Courtney Waters
'86 X1/9
'78, '76, and '73 128 Sedans
'74 128 Coupe
'74 124 Sedan
'68 124 Wagon
cgranju
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:08 pm

it makes fine sense on the high end when you say very nicely done original restorations or preservations...or even some tasteful retro/mod work. These days (& really for a while via FFOs & some stuff chronicled on FS.com) I see these cars where "no expense has been spared" to source good quality parts, to fully & correctly do body work req'd, etc. I have had many Fiats that were wonderful collections of the best sourced & most wisely combined used parts that have been really great cars (still own a few of course!). Probably, arguably, those don't warrant the super high-dollar stuff. When the cars are restored to a level of detail that makes them much nicer cars than they were new, it's a bit of a weird thing that I also can't fully get my head around.

I've mostly steered away from "project" Fiats that crop up locally, but from vicarious experience I've seen some really wacky/hopeful prices on mostly POS cars but then I've seen people come & buy them for something like 1/5 the asking price (which sometimes was still too much). I am glad they seem to be less frequently being crushed (maybe they're still killing 'em left & right in California?).

like most stuff, the real part has happened rather slowly and then we each find our own special time to notice.

Oh, this has got to be a good thing in terms of parts/new parts supply. I see these days as mostly much better for finding good parts (maint/mechanical or cosmetic) for the cars & some of that is due to the apparent value making it worth vendors selling or sourcing/producing new stuff for the market. I do, however, miss pretty cheap new Konis, tires & new camshafts.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am

I bought my koni yellows new for $200 (all 4) recently... think i did alright ;) . There's a guy in philly (an area i don't want to go to) selling an 80 FI, a bit of rust on the body that "runs beautifully" for $2,000. Contacted him to find out that he can't start it because the last time it ran so well was 20 years ago...because it wouldn't start. Lofl. Offered $500, rejected, moved on.
Last edited by PhillySpider on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Oh Carl, suffering are you .... I wash and fold my retirement Wall/K Mart wardrobe now, (Brooks Brothers........> Good Will) ... and prefer to hand wash dishes.... "so ones mans meat is another's poison " ... says my former Jamaican work colleague....no problem
Joe DeGasperis
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:12 am

Retirement is great, Fruit of the loom T shirts in warm weather and Fruit of the Loom sweats in cold weather, all get tossed in the washing machine. Leaves more time for messing with cars.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
MikeGreer
Last Name: Greer
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeGreer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:10 pm

Carl, I woke up about the same time you did 😉. Before a spring drive this year I needed a top and tires. I splurged on the top, but balked at 15" rims and tires, I didn't think it was worth pouring that much money into an old spider, just to have good tires for a spring drive. Months later I'm having second thoughts, should have bought those 15" rims and tires 😎. People seem to be pouring money into their cars, like I've never seen before and Hagerty values are way higher than I would have imagined, up in the 20s for a #3 car. It's shocking, but when you think about it, it's a relatively rare car (less than half as many as MG B), getting more rare, it's a classic design from one of the most famous design houses, and mechanically superior for its time.

I just spent a fair piece of change on a new interior, so I'm as guilty as the next guy, and I plan a good new paint job. So I'm glad prices are up 😆.
45 years with a spider, that's a long time
Restoring the '79 for the second time, you're never finished ;)
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 am

A redone interior and new paint will definitely push a spider into high value territory. I rarely do either to my Fiats and don't get those prices for my Fiats.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9