Garage building thoughts, aesthetics & ultimate shop layout

The all purpose conversational forum
zonker
Last Name: Green
First Name: Robert

Re: Garage building thoughts, aesthetics & ultimate shop layout

Post by zonker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:13 pm

It looks amazing, Chris. I'm so used to working in rented spaces or Apartment carports, I would have thought I died and went to heaven if I had that kind of workshop.

Probably for the best though - I tend to make messes when working on old cars and I'd probably have that looking a bit ratty within a couple years. I am trying to turn over a new leaf however - the home Cheryl and I live in has a 10,000 sq. ft. backyard with an RV parking pad and a 16x24 shop. I've added a solar carport over the RV pad for my dirty work to be done. As for the garage... well it's a work in progress. I aquired a whole lot of old Spider parts and a couple more cars a month or so ago so right now it looks like a metal recycler's sorting floor.

I hope to have it under control by the fall. Or not.
1969 1971 1971 1981 2017 124 Spider
2013 500e
1974 1978 X1/9
lanciahf
Last Name:

Post by lanciahf » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:43 pm

Chris,
Very Nice! Enjoy! Probably need a Fiat Garage warming party.
Ralph DeLauretis
2013 Fiat 500 POP
1984 Pininfarina Spider
Recovering Scorpion Owner.
njoconnor
Last Name: OConnor
First Name: Neil

Post by njoconnor » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:24 am

Just looked into this post....gorgeous job, Chris!

Also....+1 on your choice of garage door lifts. Those jackshaft units are quiet, free up hanging space from the ceiling (bikes, canoes, ladders, etc). Have had mine for 3+ years, with no issues at all.

I used to think "someday", but now I think "work with whatcha got".

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 Fiat 124 Spider
14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
12 Jeep Grand Cherokee
71 Fiat 124 Coupe (long ago and far away...and very much missed!)
Various MOPAR's, Fords, VW's, Audis, and SAABs, and a Bimmer
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:48 pm

Thank you for your kind words & that is certainly nice to hear good feedback on the jackshaft openers. After a lot of placement debate on a 2 post lift, I think I've decided it will be rather midway (front/back) in the leftmost bay. So, the high lift door tracks will immediately earn their keep on that door at least!

Here are some recent photos.

Note I had shoveled gravel to the first door for access.
IMG_9716.jpeg
IMG_9716.jpeg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 54 times
This is after the concrete driveway had been ripped out.
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 54 times
As of this afternoon, I have concrete leading from the road all the way to each door, which is a luxury I had almost written off. The garage floor is 12" higher than the carport floor across (38' & change) the driveway, so there was much "working it out" with my concrete guy to make it drain without having to use a trench grate. In the process I also installed a minor drainage system under the driveway for roof drainage and installed a PVC sleeve in order to put a new water line across the driveway. This morning, we also put a shallower conduit under the final pour in case an underground connection (does anyone still use ethernet cable? I dunno...) from the house to the garage is needed in the future. Here is some of that.
IMG_0087.jpeg
IMG_0087.jpeg (749.76 KiB) Viewed 54 times
IMG_0196.jpeg
IMG_0196.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 54 times
IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_0151.jpeg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 54 times

The last step is the yard/grass/landscaping/etc. which is mostly my wife's domain in terms of design/aesthetic/utility (or lack-thereof in some cases). I will be a large part of the labor force on that one.

Oh yeah, we had a concrete driveway that was old, cracked in many places, deemed ugly (not by me, actually) and also was poured badly so it did not drain & was too low to comfortably enter the garage. So, it got pulled out (alas, I missed the fun because that was while we were out of town picking up Mrs Granju's 1985 Pininfarina). The original plan was to haul it all off (sadly, a landfill is the usual likely option), but we decided to keep a lot of it around for a while & use the pieces (stacked) to build a small retaining wall that will line part of the driveway and eventually be overtaken by vegetation. I was happy with the idea of being able to reuse some of the materials.

This is sort of what the driveway (first photo, above) looks like once a mini excavator has grabbed sections of it & dropped them on other sections a few times. I think it looks rather nice & stacked (mostly with larger pieces) it should make a nice wall.
IMG_0069.jpeg
IMG_0069.jpeg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 54 times
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
spider2081
Last Name: Laborde
First Name: Dave

Post by spider2081 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:10 am

Great job. Looks like a wonderful place to work on your cars. You must feel really good about the progress you have made with your cars and the work shop. Love your contributions to the chat room.
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Thank you. Of course, now at the end of the project, I look at it & see all the things I would do differently (ie, mistakes I would have avoided) if I were to do it again. I guess I need to find the zen of simply enjoying it because it is a hell of a lot nicer than anything I've ever had to work in.

The cars have actually *not* seen tremendous progress as they have mostly spent the last year tucked away in safety and with long periods of inactivity (while my beater F150 has been driven into the ground as a work truck). That will be changing presently, of course.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986