Garage building thoughts, aesthetics & ultimate shop layout

The all purpose conversational forum
pmurko
Last Name:

Re: Garage building thoughts, specifically prefab/metal & aesthetics

Post by pmurko » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Richard is right on as far as the mice are concerned. I read this because my father has a metal barn in CT without insulation but with mice. He used it for his farm so it was OK. It is a good building with potential.

https://microship.com/rodents-pole-building/
kmead
Last Name: Karl
First Name: Mead

Post by kmead » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:23 am

Proper construction practices are desirable regardless of the type of building you create.

Pretty gross example on that metal siding link. yeeccchhh.
1969 850 Sport Coupe
1970 124 Sport Coupe
1985 X1/9, ugly but fun to drive. Olive trees are hell on paint and interiors apparently. Who knew?
1987 X1/9 slowly coming back
And a few appliances for day to day
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:45 am

well, our neighbor has a cat who seems to like to hang out around our house....that would be a good thing, I suppose.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:50 am

Cats and small dogs were working animals on the farm. So were barn owls. Modern felines prefer a low ash diet and are more inclined to find a comfortable perch on a convertible top than to participate in under-car exploration.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
atruscott
Last Name: Truscott
First Name: Andy

Post by atruscott » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:58 am

On flooring. I recently invested in those "race tiles" you see advertised to cover our cold, hard, concrete garage floor which was sealed with epoxy. The tiles really are a joy to work on, and jacks (trolley and hydraulic race jacks) are fine on them. They have channels for drainage, and a lipped edge.

I'd imagine they'd work fine on a reclaimed paver floor or pretty much anything solid that's relatively flat - although concrete likely the best.

A
1960 Autobianchi Bianchina Transformabile
1970 238 Camper OHV
1974 124 Wagon TC
1974 124 Special TC
1975 124 Sport Coupe
1976 124 Sport Spider (The Racer)
1981 Spider 2000 (The Resurrected)
1985 Pininfarina Azzurra
2017 124 Spider Abarth Elaborazione
mikehynes
Last Name:

Post by mikehynes » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:34 am

atruscott wrote:On flooring. I recently invested in those "race tiles" you see advertised to cover our cold, hard, concrete garage floor which was sealed with epoxy. The tiles really are a joy to work on, and jacks (trolley and hydraulic race jacks) are fine on them. They have channels for drainage, and a lipped edge.

I'd imagine they'd work fine on a reclaimed paver floor or pretty much anything solid that's relatively flat - although concrete likely the best.

A
A lot of professional race teams use the race tiles in the paddock too. They seem to work pretty good on grass on blacktop.
Two '80 124 Spiders
Lots of X1/9s
Mike Hynes
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Tue May 23, 2017 12:00 pm

i'm opening this back up as we have made some conceptual design progress. I've enlisted the help of a friend who is an architect to help keep us from completely wasting money making a structure that only I would ever appreciate or to create something that destroys the rather cool built-into-the-landscape mid-century modern feel of our house. At the moment, the 'concept' plan is based on 28' x 48' with one double garage door on the 48' side. The construction would be built into an existing hillside (of sorts...essentially a location that was cut out & a retaining wall built for our mid-century "motor court" driveway) where the ground line behind the garage will be around 8' or so & so it will be a retaining wall & give the garage a bit of a 'basement' natural climate control (which I like & have often had in the past...as long as moisture doesn't become an issue).

Here is a silly clip of GIS mapping with topo showing the area where the garage would be built. How we approach moving dirt for this will be a factor...and taking down some trees...but we have a swimming pool that needs to be deleted on the other end of the yard!
garagesite2.jpg
garagesite2.jpg (170.04 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
So, the agreed concept is that the structure will house a lift and also hold a rather high number of Fiats for pure storage/protection purposes, while providing parking along with work space that could be sectioned for space doing mechanical work, space that can be sectioned perhaps for body work, etc. The proposed size seems pretty large, but within reason it likely will get tweaked.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
bartigue
seimila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Tue May 23, 2017 12:53 pm

You can't have a big enough garage. Go visit a new car dealer and note the spacing between lifts and "room to work." I'm not saying build a 100,000 sq ft garage, but if you think 4 feet between cars that are being worked on is enough then you're in for a surprise.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1969, 1969, 1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1982 124 Spiders
1969, 1970 850 Spiders
77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm

oh, i know. space disappears quickly. and on top of that there is some traditional workshop space (benches, tools) needed there & some storage. I have a truly terrible work space currently...the worst I've ever had by far, so while anything is better, the relative additional expense of getting it right is probably minor within the scale of project here.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 am

Grass Roots Motorsports is just starting a series on building garages. I have no idea whether the articles will be useful to you as their projects are anything but cheap.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone