low tire pressure light infestation

The all purpose conversational forum
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Re: low tire pressure light infestation

Post by jseabolt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:28 pm

My wife's Nissan Cube's tire inflation light would still kick on in the middle of summer every now and then. It came with nitrogen from the factory.

I just thought the purpose of nitrogen was due to the absence of oxygen was supposed to make the rims or inside of the tires last longer.
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 am

The purpose of nitrogen filled tires is to create an opportunity to charge people for something that has limited value in practical use. I'm quoting here from tirebuyer.com: "Consumer Reports conducted a study comparing nitrogen versus air loss in tires to determine if this benefit of nitrogen was worth the extra cost. They used 31 pairs of various tire models, filled one tire of each pair to 30 psi with air and the other to the same pressure with nitrogen, then left them outside for a year. At the end of the year, they found that all tires lost pressure. The average pressure loss with air was 3.5 psi; with nitrogen the average loss was 2.2 psi – a difference of only 1.3 psi over a year."

The article goes on and on about the benefits, the sum of it, nitrogen is for people who want to tell people they put nitrogen in their tires.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Air contains water vapor which can go back and forth between a gas, a liquid and even a solid inside a tire. These phase changes make a big difference in the amount of space it takes up and the pressure it contributes to the tires inflation. Most commercial nitrogen is made by simply knocking out the other gases in air using molecular sieves or distillation. Water vapor is one of those gases that gets knocked out.

Using nitrogen for tire inflation began with aircraft and it had nothing to do with maximizing time between fillings. At altitude aircraft tires experience low temps which can condense and freeze water vapor in landing gear tires. Spinning up tires that have gone soft due to condensation or even internal ice during a high speed landing shortens their already short life.

Racers were the first to recognize the advantage of nitrogen filled tires on the road. The absence of water vapor meant that tires did not expand as much as they heated up and that gave more consistent handling.

There are other ways to reduce water vapor in tires. Emptying the water trap on the compressed air line regularly is one. Filling tires on a cool dry days is another.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:23 pm

gee thanks brad, so glad i shared lol.
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 am

And to think I started this thread as my personal rant. Brad always states what everyone is thinking and Richard always gives technical and historical grounding.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Post by jseabolt » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:55 am

I can see why you would want to use something like this in the tires on an aircraft. Last time I was on a plane the outside temperature *I think* was -55F . At those temps I would imagine the cold would be hard on everything like the hydraulics.
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:03 am

All i can say is living in Philly where we've ranged temps from 5 degrees to 65 degrees up and down over the last few weeks i personally see the value of nitrogen. Not having tpms go off every other day is worth the $24 to me. It's also a great thing to brag about at parties lol.
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:49 pm

When characters were being assigned on this long running show I drew "Mr. Peabody". Fortunately I have a WABAC machine that sits right on my lap. Others can draw their own conclusions about who drew Bullwinkle's part.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:12 am

Brad's not going to be happy with that, Richard.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
vandor
quattromila club
Last Name:

Post by vandor » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:13 am

rridge wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:07 pm
There's no "high pressure" tire warning light.
No, because it's the same light. Many systems will warn if the pressure is higher than a certain pressure.
Csaba
Parts: http://www.autoricambi.us
Cars: http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/Fiat.html
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'72 124 Coupe, new project, ex-Pete, ex-Eli, ex-Jack car (all Mira members)