low tire pressure light infestation

The all purpose conversational forum
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Re: low tire pressure light infestation

Post by friedman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:41 am

See that, even on stupid posts we learn stuff. Am I correct in thinking some of the most current cars tells you which tire is low and what the actual pressures are on all four tires?
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:08 am

friedman wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:41 am
See that, even on stupid posts we learn stuff. Am I correct in thinking some of the most current cars tells you which tire is low and what the actual pressures are on all four tires?
Correct. My 2014 c300 and 2014 a4 give individual read outs. I know accords do as well so it's not even a luxury...
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
baltobernie2
Last Name:

Post by baltobernie2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:16 am

I defeated the TPMS on my new 2010 Corolla because (1.) it does not show actual PSI (2.) it does not indicate which tire(s) are low (3.) it does not monitor the spare, and that little donut is far more critical of tire pressure than the other four (4.) I have a set of winter tires on the OE rims, and I'm too cheap to spend money on a limited-value accessory that requires maintenance.

All of these complaints are irrelevant in newer cars, and I'll leave the system undisturbed on my next purchase. The Professor should chime in here about technology taking some time to be actually useful. Fair warning: flames to anyone defending omission of crankcase or transmission dipsticks. 8-)
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Bernie, you and I are from a different time....when trains were powered by steam and airplanes had propellers. The only idiot lights we saw on cars were e-brake, oil and alternator. Had a nice week with none of the four kids complaining of idiot lights coming on their cars or even on my cars. The two Fiats have compassionate trust that I'll do the right thing maintenance wise with them without having to fire off a light to tell me critical information.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:53 pm

Pile on the "new technology" I have a PCA sticker covering the TPS light in the instrument cluster of the 997 C2.. "checking the oil" means turning the key and watching the icon do its thing on the dash... dipstick .. fugetabouit.... the radio is a nightmare to operate ... but Oh my, I love to drive that car ... and I almost forgot this, if the battery goes flat, you can't get the front boot open without power, which requires pulling a 3 inch "bar" from the fuse panel and attaching a 12V source to allow opening the boot and getting to the flat battery ... ask how I know ...
Joe DeGasperis
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:42 am

any millennial can probably go on-line to your virtual owner's manual and find away around that flat battery issue. A buddy of mine who owns a new Abarth found all kinds of interesting things to access and change on his car doing this.

And yes, performance of new cars is amazing and easily worth all the nonsense. My 2013 GTI with DCT is absolutely stunning....even if I can't figure out how to unlock the passenger door from the driver door lock switch.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
SimcaBertone66

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:26 am

There is no issue about the battery jive, other than the need to get to the battery and charge it or replace it , which was done in that order
The trick is getting to said battery ....lol
Joe DeGasperis
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:06 pm

I'm no millenial, but had to resort to youtube to check the oil level on my wife's A4. Ther is NO DIPSTICK on an A4, you have to go through a menu on the display to check level. There's a mod to add one from an aftermarket supplier...For $73. Ugh. On a car known to burn oil you'd think it'd have a dipstick, besides me :)
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
SimcaBertone66

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:48 pm

It is actually easy but needs to be checked when cold, and appears as soon as you set key to on, then watch the icon show the level in in the oil tank. The 911 uses a dry sump.
Joe DeGasperis
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 am

PhillySpider wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:06 pm
I'm no millenial, but had to resort to youtube to check the oil level on my wife's A4. Ther is NO DIPSTICK on an A4, you have to go through a menu on the display to check level. There's a mod to add one from an aftermarket supplier...For $73. Ugh. On a car known to burn oil you'd think it'd have a dipstick, besides me :)
We had several iterations of the A4 (a great driving car) and all of them burned a little oil from new. I will say that the "low oil indicator" warning was dead accurate though, half quart low, indicator came on, put a little in. It seemed right about the time it was due for an oil change, 7,500 miles, they'd all run through a half quart or so.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com