Alfa Romeo 164

The all purpose conversational forum
lanciahf
Last Name:

Re: Alfa Romeo 164

Post by lanciahf » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:59 pm

BTW I was so traumatized by that VW I went out and bought a 1997 Chevy Silverado, still have it and I love it. Great for picking up Fiat parts or cars and delivering axles to John Erskine.
Ralph DeLauretis
2013 Fiat 500 POP
1984 Pininfarina Spider
Recovering Scorpion Owner.
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:26 pm

fastfiat81 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:26 am
Anyone have much experience with the 164s? I have been lurking on the alfaBB forum the last week or so learning the quirks of the car.
---------------------------------
--Tony, this thread got pretty drawn out from your original post. If still interested in 164, I recommend you contact Steve Patchin via email at SDPathin@aol.com. Steve is located in Virginia Beach, VA and is pretty well respected for his 164 expertise. Tell him I sent you.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
davedecker4
Last Name: Decker
First Name: Dave

Post by davedecker4 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Bravo then Tony. Go for it. GTI? Hogwash. Might as well buy a BMW if you want a newer sporty car to work on. Might as well just buy a Honda if you want a modern car that's fun to drive. Of course, its still a modern car, so take that for what its worth. Mazda similar, so sounds like you've got that covered. For the 164, Q would be good but can be hard to find. LS has benefits over some of the earlier cars, but seem more modern and don't have same look as earlier version to me. S model was the sporty version a lot of people like with just a little extra. They can be reasonably reliable if you can maintain them. My cousin has a base model with 5 speed he's had for about 20 years in his home maintained fleet. There kinda modern and fun to drive, but due to their FWD layout, have more torque steer than the Lancia Betas that preceded them. While you're at it, go ahead and look at some of the later Maseratis. Some decent, fun and reasonable priced Italians there too. Sedans available there too if that's what you're looking for.

PS I would also recommend avoiding the AT in 164. In part because almost every time I've ever seen one for sale, they're broken. In part because, that takes half the fun out of it.

PPS also avoid any car where the heater fan doesn't blow or any such difficulty. Makes Fiat heater matrix/valve job look easy. I think one of the euro mags did a buyers guide of what to look for in last few years. Might do a search for that.
Dave Decker
a 'couple' Fiats and Lancia's
fiatrn
Last Name: FiatRN
First Name: the

Post by fiatrn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:52 pm

I turned a few wrenches on 164s, and they are very elegant cars. They are astoundingly comfortable long distance cruisers, but have enough oomph and fun to make them tossable on a backroad. The low front hoodline makes placing the car simple, and the S seats were super comfortable. The dash is an elegant mix of modern and pre-modern - visually interesting down the center console, very readable, and still analog where it counts. The exterior is a model of clean lines un-spoiled by accoutrements.

That V6 engine is a work of art, and has a gorgeous growl and shriek combination.

I found the LS cars set up a little soft. The S suspension felt the tiniest bit firm to me, but it needed that up front to keep the power in check. The S shocks were expensive to replace with stock, but koni sport shocks were cheaper and I think nicer.

Early cars had the SOHC V6 like the MIlano, later cars had a quattrovalve quad cam cylinder head with coil on plug ignition - total sex.

If you buy one, just make sure it isn't beat to death. If there is no paperwork trail, change the timing belt, every fluid in the vehicle, and replace the stepper motor in the HVAC system. Consider the shocks - are they old and beat up? - and the brake pads. Book time on the stepper motor was something crazy like 8 hours, but the job can be done much faster than that. With those maintenance items done right away, you have a known condition machine that can last you years, and provide a lot of fun.
Dan_B
Last Name:

Post by Dan_B » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:08 am

The 164 is a great engine donor for a Scorpion swap or a Stratos kit car ;)

I echo the sentiments on getting a Milano (aka 75) instead. Amazing little sedans... I recommend the base model without the lousy ABS.
David Spiegelthal
Last Name:

Post by David Spiegelthal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:45 pm

I've had a '91 164S for about 5 years. Very fond of it. Thought of selling it a couple of years ago, and glad I didn't. Your mileage will undoubtedly vary.