Philly Auto Show

The all purpose conversational forum
lanciahf
Last Name:

Philly Auto Show

Post by lanciahf » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:14 am

A lesson in marketing...
Why is it I can sit in most of the BMWs, Corvettes, F,-Type but the Fiat 500x was inaccessible and the two Alfas we're behind partitions.

Even the i8 was on the carpet, locked but accessable. Oh the Porsches were on the ground also.

Hard for the next generation of kids to get excited about locked cars behind walls. Hence the long line of kids and adults waiting to sit in a Vette. Such a lost opportunity.
Ralph DeLauretis
2013 Fiat 500 POP
1984 Pininfarina Spider
Recovering Scorpion Owner.
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Re: Philly Auto Show

Post by bartigue » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:40 am

Seems rather silly. When I’ve seen Alfa Romeo on display they always let people in the cars. I’ve never seen FIAT display anything, I would imagine given the sluggish sales they’d let people drive them off the showroom floor.

May I also add that FIAT, despite whoever owns the brand at the time, is a terrible marketer. The 500 launch is a textbook case of not understanding a market and ultimately marketing to the wrong people. They should be grateful the cars started to attract interest, the marketing has been laughably bad.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:04 pm

lanciahf wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:14 am
A lesson in marketing...
Why is it I can sit in most of the BMWs, Corvettes, F,-Type but the Fiat 500x was inaccessible and the two Alfas we're behind partitions.

Even the i8 was on the carpet, locked but accessable. Oh the Porsches were on the ground also.

Hard for the next generation of kids to get excited about locked cars behind walls. Hence the long line of kids and adults waiting to sit in a Vette. Such a lost opportunity.
Did you check the Someone Museaum stand ?
Joe DeGasperis
lanciahf
Last Name:

Post by lanciahf » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Yes, but it seemed a bit small this year. Looks like the Fiat and Alfa stand were put on by the local dealership not the FCA. At least I hope it was considering how it was.
Ralph DeLauretis
2013 Fiat 500 POP
1984 Pininfarina Spider
Recovering Scorpion Owner.
sams
Last Name: Sciancalepore
First Name: Sam

Post by sams » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm

At the SF Auto Show that always runs the week of Thanksgiving the two Alfas were on inaccessible pedestals and locked. Fortunately there were a couple at the All Italian Car show in Alameda the month before, so I was able to take a closer look, but yeah, a wasted opportunity.

There were a couple of Fiats including a Spider on the floor that you could get into. The Spider felt a little tight for me, which was surprising since I had an original series Miata for a short while that I remember being somewhat spacious. I'm sure it has everything to do with the car interiors shrinking over the years and not me expanding, though.

Fiats (and even moreso Alfas) are currently niche marques, and I can't see that changing at the rate they are going. As a side note, I would seriously consider getting one of the new 124 Spiders if it didn't look like a washing machine under the hood. Just a total letdown. I wish they would put a proper engine in one.
Sam Sciancalepore
Concord, CA
1981 Fiat Spider (owned since 1996)
davedecker4
Last Name: Decker
First Name: Dave

Post by davedecker4 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:19 pm

Odd, I was able to get in and crawl all around the Fiats here at the Portland auto show. With reintroduction of 500 in the US there was a complete display with couple cute models giving whole spiels about the cars and history along with a more knowledgeable sales person to fill in the blanks. Cars were accessible from this first show. I'm pretty sure that was a corporate effort. I think maybe your dealer just sucks. The Ferraris have usually been locked and often cordoned off with velvet rope. The Maseratis are typically locked but sometimes accessible and sometimes roped with the Ferraris. I forgot to go and check out the Alfas this year. So, regrettably cannot report on that. I think I got swamped with the start of school.
Dave Decker
a 'couple' Fiats and Lancia's