Shell Video Memory Trigger

The all purpose conversational forum
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Shell Video Memory Trigger

Post by rridge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:52 pm

I just watched a Shell Oil ad on a You Tube link that John Goodfellow posted showing a series of vintage F1 Ferraris circling famous Italian roads. As pictures and particularly videos sometimes do, it triggered for me a long forgotten story, one better told here than in the continuation of a thread on oil additives in the tech section.

So, Ferrari and indeed the whole FI circus has long depended on commercial sponsorships lured by the promise of large TV audiences, mostly in Europe. Shell has been one of Ferrari's biggest backers for decades, and that was the real point of their You Tube video. But there are many other sponsors. If you study a modern Ferrari race car, you'll find it difficult to find a square foot of red paint that has not been put to commercial use.

Somewhere around year 2000 Ferrari was having a problem with titanium metallurgy on some connecting rods. In those days the Fiat parent was still in the aircraft engine business and closely involved with GE on certain large commercial engines. Turbine engines are flying titanium ingots. So approaches were made to GE technical staff to get suggestions for the connecting rod problem. The answers GE suggested turned out to be helpful. One day a scale model of an F1 Ferrari arrived in the chief engineer's office at GE's aircraft engine plant in Cincinnati. On the end plate of the model's rear wing, right under the Shell logo was a GE meatball.

Months later my son tells me he's going to attend an F1 event and will have access to the pits. I tell him to get a picture of one of the Ferrari's with the GE logo on the tail. The event comes and goes and no photo arrives. Later he explains that at an actual F1 race, the rear wings are covered in the pits to avoid giving away the wing adjustments to competitors before the race. Once the cars are on the track and in motion it's almost impossible to capture the logos on the end plates. As someone once said, you get what you pay for...

So it was a little thrill when years later Ferrari put one of their 2000 F1 cars up for auction and I finally got to see the real deal. See below.
Attachments
Ferrari Meatball.jpg
Ferrari Meatball.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 306 times
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
mikehynes
Last Name:

Re: Shell Video Memory Trigger

Post by mikehynes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Nice, is it in your garage now?
Two '80 124 Spiders
Lots of X1/9s
Mike Hynes
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Re: Shell Video Memory Trigger

Post by rridge » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Sold for $1.4 million in 2014. Probably a good investment as art but as a car, the automatic transmission would probably leave me wanting.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD