Product warning

The all purpose conversational forum
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Product warning

Post by bartigue » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 pm

I didn't follow my own advice and bought "Kwiksen" oxygen sensors (Amazon) for my Land Rover and my FIAT. Figured I could return them if they didn't work. Guess what...before these were installed the LR gave 1 code, now it gives 8 (two per sensor); the FIAT sensor (which you have to read by voltmeter) pretty much reads the same all the time. Junk...have to return them all, thankfully Amazon takes them back.

Spent about $100 for what Bosch charges $224 for and wish I have spent the $224 the first time :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
vandor
quattromila club
Last Name:

Re: Product warning

Post by vandor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Apparently one can return things for only 45 days on Amazon, so be sure it gets done pronto. I bought my brother an analog outside thermometer which turned out to be 5 degrees off. Tried to return it two weeks ago and no go...
Csaba
Parts: http://www.autoricambi.us
Cars: http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/Fiat.html
'17 124 Abarth, Silver
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'72 124 Coupe, new project, ex-Pete, ex-Eli, ex-Jack car (all Mira members)
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:12 pm

Bosch invented the oxygen sensor for fuel injection systems and their p/n 11051 was the OEM part used for all "classic" Fiats. It's still made by Bosch. $24 on Amazon.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Post by jseabolt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:07 pm

What kind of quality stuff does Rock Auto sell? I've never bought from them but I'm tempted.

OBD-II flashed a code for a bad O2 sensor on bank 1 on my 2003 Subaru a few years ago. I cleared the code (just in case) but the CEL came back on. If you fart too loud in a Subaru it will set the check engine light off. Usually once a year the car "hiccups" for a brief second on a cold start and flashes an air auxiliary valve code. I just clear the code and I'm good for another year or two. Fords on the other hand you have to drive 200 miles with the engine misfiring before the computer will flash a code and tell you which cylinder is at fault. I've replaced 4 coils on Dad's F-150.

I ended up buying a Bosch OEM for well over $200 from Advance Auto but the guy who makes my sushi says he buys all his Subaru parts from Rock Auto. Last time I checked Rock Auto wanted around $50 for a Subaru O2 sensor.

Another guy says you can "fix" an O2 sensor by heating the tip with a propane torch until it glows to burn any funk. I've never tried it. I figured O2 sensors were like light bulbs. They have a wire inside that burns out and there is no fix except for replacing them.
mamsterla
Last Name: Amster
First Name: Michael

Post by mamsterla » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:26 pm

For the most part RockAuto is a large reseller of WorldPac. The parts quality is a mix, but tends to be OEM and decent quality secondary part sources. I think it will depend a lot on the specific part, but I have some experience with WorldPac and they are a very large entity in this space.
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:21 pm

For the most part RockAuto is a large reseller of WorldPac.

In the rapidly consolidating world of auto parts you need a scorecard to keep track of distribution chains. WorldPac was bought by CarQuest some years ago, Advance Auto bought CarQuest in 2014. In our area Advance Auto continues to operate its own retail stores as well as CarQuest retail stores under separate names.

Rock Auto deals directly with a number of major suppliers. They are a good source of Federal Mogul parts. Federal Mogul recently acquired Beck/Arnley. I've used Rock Auto to buy Motorcraft parts directly from my local Motorcraft warehouse. I think Rock Auto deals with Bosch directly and yes they are a good source of OEM and aftermarket Bosch branded parts.

Somewhere along the line the whole notion that there are separate retailers for domestic and foreign parts seems to have gone by the board. I miss the tips I used to get about parts interchanges at my former foreign car parts store.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD