Shipping a Car

The all purpose conversational forum
dimitridodys
Last Name:

Shipping a Car

Post by dimitridodys » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:29 pm

Can anyone recommend a good car shipping company? It's not for a Fiat or other sports and collectible. But a Toyota 4Runner SUV.

Thanks
kendall
Last Name: Kendall
First Name: Brett

Re: Shipping a Car

Post by kendall » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:36 am

I just shipped a car from South Oregon to Los Angeles. I decided to use Montway as I was in a time crunch because of business travel and they advertised that you could pick delivery dates.

It was fine in some ways and not in others. The car did arrive when I needed it to and it did cost what they said it would. What I learned after agreeing to have them ship the car is that they are really just a dispatch company, and it seems like most companies in the same price range are. Basically they just found a driver that picked up the car and from there I was in contact with him. This may not happen to you, but the driver started out being nice but ended up being a major cock when I was polite to him the whole time. Long story short I think there's a major luck factor involved with most services in that price range.

You can use uship to get quotes yourself and cut out a middle man like Montway, but I'm not certain you'll save that much or what the experience will be like. The quotes I got were not any cheaper than what companies like Montway advertise but I was also trying to get it done quickly and didn't wait very long to see if something cheaper would come up. It seems like the whole situation in that price range is YMWV.

That's just my two cents after going through it myself. I hope it helps.
1975 Fiat 124 Spider
1982 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel
bartigue
seimila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Montway will troll you on uship to the point that you start blocking their emails. I'm glad you even got your car - the only time I used them I had to get my credit card company involved. I've used one-man shops off uship for a while, it's worked out well. Sometimes I question their sanity - like the guy who towed my Discovery 2 with a 2WD base model F150 straight for 18 hours.

I see it like this: for the cars I buy to restore they are fine on open truck, common shipper kind of setups. For restored classic cars of any real value you need to call Wagoneers something like that, with enclosed trucking (see Hagerty). For a regular old car, like a 2010 VW your kid needs in college, any shipper on uship should do.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1969, 1969, 1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1982 124 Spiders
1969, 1970 850 Spiders
77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Used Passport multiple times … pleasant to deal with over the phone, efficient, market price for professional level collector car transport, … excellent communication with driver, accommodating as to drop off location. Never needed to ship of a "normal" car ..
Joe DeGasperis
kendall
Last Name: Kendall
First Name: Brett

Post by kendall » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:51 am

bartigue wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:59 pm
I'm glad you even got your car - the only time I used them I had to get my credit card company involved.
Yeah, I read a lot of horror story reviews for a lot of these companies. I figured that if they were all shady I had to just bite the bullet some way. I suppose getting chewed out for asking a simple question is better than getting a bigger bill than I expected.
1975 Fiat 124 Spider
1982 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel
San Jose Steve
Last Name:

Post by San Jose Steve » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:06 pm

I once shipped a Fiat 124 from Iowa to San Jose for $800 on an open trailer with 6 other cars. Company said a direct 3-4 day trip. NOT! The driver went from Iowa up to Seattle and finally to me. 7 days...... Every time I heard news of a hail storm somewhere I had to check the map.

When the trailer finally arrived, the Fiat was on the top, angled nose high. All the fuel had leaked out the rubber filler elbow into the tank and dripped all over the black convertible top of a nice 60's vintage mustang. Car wouldn't start as it was completely out of gas. Mustang had a nice bleach looking stain running down the top and onto the fender. Really sucked for the Mustang guy! Steve (The Fiat Driving) Ferrari