Some History for Sale

FIAT cars and parts for sale (or trade)
ward00
Last Name: wardas
First Name: mark

Some History for Sale

Post by ward00 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:12 am

Currently in Santa Cruz, Ca
75 Spider - 1.8 with IDFs running like a champ - starting performance race upgrade to 2 liter
75 Sport Coupe restoration

Past
Spider (4), Coupe (1), 131 (2), 128 (1) Ritmo (1) X1/9 (2)
ward00
Last Name: wardas
First Name: mark

Re: Some History for Sale

Post by ward00 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Perhaps what's for sale is not interesting, but wondering what type of memories you have of Cosentino and PBS. Mine are looking at Al's catalog and wondering if I could ever afford to buy any of his goodies. 30 years later I finally can😀
Currently in Santa Cruz, Ca
75 Spider - 1.8 with IDFs running like a champ - starting performance race upgrade to 2 liter
75 Sport Coupe restoration

Past
Spider (4), Coupe (1), 131 (2), 128 (1) Ritmo (1) X1/9 (2)
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:50 pm

This ad is being discussed actively on the Xweb.
Al was a great racer, no doubt. As a vendor of Fiat parts, he wasn't doing us much good. I think the best times most of us had with him was reading his catalogs and I too could not afford anything cool that he sold back in the late 60s when I was in college.

I got a copy of the john Rich catalog from back then and he had nothing nice to say about Al. Back then I guess it was normal to beat on each other but of course there was no social media.

I find all this odd, I was a an active amature motorcycle road racer in the 70s and 80s and my close competitors in my class were great friends, not ego puffed glaciators that the car guys seemed to be although admittedly SCCA racing was way more pro than they would admit.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:15 pm

I saw Al run at Vineland in the mid-60's. He was strange even then. Don't think it had anything to do with SCCA drivers. Eye-hand coordination, mechanical aptitude, and personality are independent variables.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Personally, I tire quickly of constant self promotion & do so even more rapidly when it is combined with negativity about others. So, the whole FAZA scene to me seemed like a some cool parts, interesting engineering & certainly a part of history, but all far too immersed in a bunch of negative energy for me to get very excited. I know, I know, I should probably go burn some sage or something...ha! But seriously, why not just be good & sell good part & leave it at that?
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
ST3Racer
Last Name: McMahan
First Name: Bill

Post by ST3Racer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:28 am

I had one phone conversation with Al years ago. I can't remember why I called him, maybe to find out if he had any support for the TC engines. I do remember the gist of the conversation. It was hard to get a word in edgewise, but fascinating just the same. He was intent on recounting his racing successes, and insisting that I get his catalog. He seemed solidly in favor of the older small bore FIATs, and not so much the newer TC cars.

I would chalk it up as a very interesting experience. He did wish me luck in my FIAT racing efforts.
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
'69 124 Spider 2L ex EP racer, ex Volumex NASA ST3 Racecar - retired
'69 rebodied with '79 backdated chassis as '72 DP 1.8L Vintage Racer
'74 124 Abarth Stradale Replica
bartigue
seimila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:25 am

I talked to Al once. He went into a rant on how stupid it was to own a FIAT, followed by a rant about some brotherhood or whatever (something I found in his catalog about "seven brothers" - to this day I feel like I was talking to someone who needed an exorcism). Whatever part I wanted at the time, an exhaust I think, I lost interest. I now have one of his catalogs and much of the lunatic comes out in them.

R&T did an article on the man (https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... rth-tuner/), it seems to align with my recollection. I think FIAT and others distanced themselves from him because of the things he said and wrote. While we certainly have some colorful characters in our history I've always found him to be more of a sad embarrassment.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1969, 1969, 1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1982 124 Spiders
1969, 1970 850 Spiders
77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:12 pm

It's odd, even reading that R&T article was exhausting.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone