blue door panels - found!

FIAT cars and parts wanted
dinghyguy
Last Name: campbell
First Name: dan

blue door panels - found!

Post by dinghyguy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi all,

Looking for a pair of blue door panels in reasonable shape for a 79 spider. The ones I have are warped, drilled full of holes, giant speaker holes.....and need to be replaced. Please let me know if you have any, Pix would be nice too.

thanks
dinghyguy

thanks to the forums i have replacement panels
Last edited by dinghyguy on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spidernut79
Last Name: Geoffrey
First Name: John

Re: blue door panels

Post by Spidernut79 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:45 pm

If you can't find any in blue, you can always get matching vinyl paint from SEM. The stuff just sprays on, covers really well and holds up as long as you prep the surface correctly. For $25 you could easily do both door panels. How are your rear seat side panels? I have a good set in blue that I'm putting up for sale soon.
dinghyguy
Last Name: campbell
First Name: dan

Post by dinghyguy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I had thought of paint, but the door panels have speaker holes and badly warped, so first off I need some decent panels.
Do you perhaps know the specific SEM color which matches, it is always hard to tell over the internet?
Also would the paint work better on black or tan panels for coverage? and what about the carpet parts of the panel?

cheers
dinghyguy
Spidernut79
Last Name: Geoffrey
First Name: John

Post by Spidernut79 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:45 am

Matching the blue will be tough due to fading over the years. However, World Upholstery at http://worlduph.com will send samples of their blue upholstery vinyl. Find a blue that matches as close as possible, then visit their link for spray dyes and match the vinyl color by the vinyl color number. I did this with my tan interior and the match was absolutely perfect.

If you have an automotive paint store anywhere near you, some stores can mix up color matching vinyl paint in spray cans for about $22. Over-the-counter SEM vinyl paints are quite good. They have a "Pacific Blue". I'm not sure how close it is in color though. They are also often carried by automotive paint stores.

Duplicolor (available through most discount auto stores) also makes a blue. Their vinyl spray isn't as good as SEM, but seems to hold up fairly well. What I don't like about Duplicolor's product is that it is very flat - no sheen of any kind. SEM has just enough sheet to make it look like new vinyl.

I'd recommend spraying blue over tan. I've sprayed red over black, red over tan, tan over red, tan over blue and tan over black and black over everything. It takes one very light coat, followed by two normal coats. Color doesn't seem to matter much, but if it gets scraped hard enough you'll see the underlying colored vinyl. It holds up pretty well on door cards.

For the carpeting, here's what I used throughout my car. It is a cornrow style and matched pretty well to the original. It can also be sprayed with the vinyl paint, but the fabric gets pretty hard and doesn't feel like carpeting after too many coats.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Select-Element ... /999920086