Semi race motor advice

A forum for racing topics
whitehause
Last Name: White
First Name: Tim

Re: Semi race motor advice

Post by whitehause » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:24 pm

OK I'll join in....not a "vintage" pic but if you look behind the 63 Galaxy you'll see a 51 Cranbrook.

Edit, found a little better pic of it
Attachments
cranvette.jpg
cranvette.jpg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 353 times
galaxy.jpg
galaxy.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 356 times
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Ok Joe and JIm.....lookie what just showed up at my house!
Attachments
2jet.jpg
2jet.jpg (126.54 KiB) Viewed 352 times
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:01 pm

The Galaxie yours …..? Never had a old Ford, but a friend bought a Fairlane GT, 390 325 HP... new in 1965, with yours truly present, that thing had every bit of 400 hp, it shredded tri power GTO's from roll or a standing start

Mounted on the Fiat a TC intake manifold the throttle arm pulls north south … fab up an arm that mounts to threaded bosses on the manifold, it was the standard setup on certain models ( which ones escapes me) and you could source the stock bit that bolts there, enables the use of a stock 124 Spider throttle cable .. Arm is visible in one of the photos I posted have fun
Joe DeGasperis
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:10 pm

Yes all the cars were mine. I had them in a garage I was renting a few years ago, but $400.00 a month was getting out of hand. I sold the Galaxie and the Cranbrook and kept the Vette here at home.

Yep, I've got the adapter on the way, then I'll get to fabbing the mount to the intake, open up the intake throat, and get the geometry for the cable right. Thanks for the inspiration to go bigger!
SimcaBertone66

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:20 pm

Up until I had all of my toys in my garage …in October now the 124 Spider and the Simca Bertone Coupe are in storage at $500 per month … moving to a new place , garage good for the two toys maybe, only one for sure and my 08 911, and 500 L stay outside
Joe DeGasperis
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:25 pm

After a few years you start to realize you're spending more on storage than the cars are worth :lol:
Just didn't make sense to keep doing it, and I wasn't going to let them sit outside. Hard to let go sometimes, but it's for the best. If I had 1/2 of the cars I've had (classics that were paid off ) I'd need a 25 car garage.
Luckily I found a lady in our town that let me store the Vette in her garage for $50.00 a month. That freed up the space to start on the Fiat.
SimcaBertone66

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:35 pm

This is making me really smile ……. dudes.... we are sort of way different and way the same in so many ways …. My 55 Belaire was "only" a 10 year old car when I got it, it literally a little old lady car …. drove like mad, despite being in to the drag race scene, I was a road race fan at heart and by this time(1965) I was already following the Grand Prix and Sports Car racing via Road and Track since 1960 !
Joe DeGasperis
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:42 pm

Never got into Brewing beer did you? lol.
Yea, the big muscle has always been passion, but my brother bought a Lotus Esprie and got into road course. Then got a formula V and started doing hill climb a few years ago. Being so close (I literally can see it ) to one of the big hill climb events in the country sealed it for me. Had to put a car together for it!
SimcaBertone66

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:20 pm

What hill climb wha are you referring to ? Where is it held and date for the event ? my racing license expires in August ...lol
Joe DeGasperis
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Duryea Hillclimb in Reading PA. The local SCCA also holds a slightly shorter race on the same road called the Pagoda Hillclimb, It just omits the last long straightaway and ends at the Pagoda.
It's usually middle to end of August.

Here's a youtube link from one of the drivers last year

https://youtu.be/_3WI1H5nVuM