The Second Restoration of a Spider

Pictures of your baby.
MikeGreer
Last Name: Greer
First Name: Mike

The Second Restoration of a Spider

Post by MikeGreer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 am

I bought this spider back in 1996, it was rough, but not as rusted as the '73 spider I had bought new. It took a few years to decide which would make the better restoration project. In today's world it would have been the "73, but in 1998 it appeared to be the Spider 2000. I finished the restoration, well I say finished, you're never finished, in time for FFO 2000. The car was 17 years old when I bought it and it needed a complete restoration, now 18 years after the first one was complete, it's ready for another full go. The top was so bad I wouldn't drive it on a spring group drive. I got the old top off but didn't get the new one on in time for the drive. A new Robins top when on shortly after the drive, which we did in my wifes car. The interior had gotten so bad the replacement corn row carpet kit crumbled on touch. I had been searching for carpet for months and finally found German Square Weave. I needed an auto upholstry shop to put binding on it, so I headed down to talk to them about it before ordering the carpet. For some strange reason my wife wanted to go with me, that's just strange. Anyway, while we were there she said why don't you just get the whole thing done? What! :o One of the few times in my life I was speachless, but I wasn't going to pass that up. There's still some work to do on the interior but here's some pictures (I hope) of the progess.
Attachments
image5.JPG
image5.JPG (839.08 KiB) Viewed 480 times
image4.JPG
image4.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 480 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 480 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (851.77 KiB) Viewed 480 times
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (739.7 KiB) Viewed 480 times
45 years with a spider, that's a long time
Restoring the '79 for the second time, you're never finished ;)
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Re: The Second Restoration of a Spider

Post by bartigue » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:20 am

That carpet looks great. The whole car is neat - where did the ventilation control come from with the raised indicators? I've never seen one like that.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
MikeGreer

Post by MikeGreer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks Brad. Once I got a sample of that carpet, I knew that was the only carpet I could put in this car. The website where I found it showed it in a 356, probably authentic, and a Corvette resto/mod. It looked good in both, so I requested a sample.

The ventilation control bezel is a reproduction, unlike the ones that were available years ago, this one is metal. It's nice to see better quality parts available for our cars. This one came from VAS, but I think AR has the same one but were out of stock at the time.

Mike
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:17 pm

--Extremely nice job Mike! That carpet is really nice, and I particularly like the way you incorporated it into the kick panels on the door cards! Very nice job on the two tone upholstery, and I think the French seams (double top stitching) really compliment the job! Well done Mike!
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
MikeGreer

Post by MikeGreer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Thanks Jim, the new spider provided a considerable amount of inspiration on how I wanted this to look.

Mike