124 Spider Abarth Stradale Build

Pictures and stories about your FIAT(s)
ST3Racer
Last Name: McMahan
First Name: Bill

Re: 124 Spider Abarth Stradale Build

Post by ST3Racer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:20 pm

In south Texas, with a hardtop, you'd melt. Is your 'homage' project using the '75 chassis? Going to do a back date like Beek?

Is it Spiderpoint in Germany? Or some other Vendor there? I would be hesitant to take a Pinin hardtop and modify it. Too few of them. How would that diminish the value of that hardtop? Does sound interesting, though.
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
'69 124 Spider 2L ex EP racer, ex Volumex NASA ST3 Racecar - retired
'69 rebodied with '79 backdated chassis as '72 DP 1.8L Vintage Racer
'74 124 Abarth Stradale Replica
fiatrn
Last Name: FiatRN
First Name: the

Post by fiatrn » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:37 pm

1 - I've see this car in person. The workmanship is even better than the photos belie. He is an artist.

2 - Bill, I notice in one photo, a Stradale has the rubber holddowns for the trunk, and in another photo there are no holddowns present. I see that you chose the non-holddown options. Does there seem to be rhyme/reason for holddowns -vs- no holddowns on the originals? (random curiosity, not a critique of yours)

I'm quite enjoying this retrospective build journey, especially bc you have sprinkled in photos of the finished product to show outcomes.
ST3Racer

Post by ST3Racer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 am

fiatrn,
Thank you for the compliment. Curious to know, where did you see my car?

I believe that in general, these special Spider models were meant for hard service, and customization to perform that hard service. Old rally cars are very hard to find, as they just got used up. If you consider that at least 3 outside mirror options are common on these models, that there were no inside door pulls, and that very few had the stock seats, these were meant for competition work, and individualized for the driver and co-drivers. Quite a number of the just over 1000 made were built up by privateers to compete in rallies. I believe that only about 13-14 were 'Factory' racers.

The hoods and trunks were made up in Fiberglass, and the hold downs were added to secure the flexible panels. In my research, I found that some hoods were available that were made up like the originals, and offered (I believe still) by vendors such as Guy Moerenhout in Belgium (abarth-gmr.be), but I found no trunk lids available. Through my Dyno shop business, I knew a young man in the states at the time going to UD who was from S. Africa. He was well versed in Fiberglass mold building and parts making. We pulled molds from a good small bump hood, and two molds (inner and outer) from a trunk lid, and made enough Fiberglass parts to recover the cost, and supply me with what I needed for my projects. These parts NEED extra hold downs to be as secure as steel panels, and I supplement the hood attachment with sparco pins on the front edge, and dzus fasteners right next to the Abarth rubber retainers (nice repros from Obert), next to the hood vents.
P1010009_2.JPG
my hood, in Fiberglass
P1010009_2.JPG (406.04 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
P1010006_2.JPG
trunk lid, with hinge block
P1010006_2.JPG (638.72 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
P1010007_2.JPG
trunk with shut insert, lock hook, molded in
P1010007_2.JPG (396.9 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
What follows is the best pictures I have of the hood and trunk panels. I can explain the pink Spider. I used K36 high build primer on the car, tinted pink, to make the final finish 'pop' in Corsa Red. My lovely wife referred to the car at the time as 'the Barbie Ferrari'

If anyone is interested, I still have the molds, and I wish to sell them. They are good molds and should be used. I don't know of any other small bump FG hoods being offered in the USA.
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 am

while I do not have much of great intelligence to add, I should say that I thoroughly enjoy seeing this kind of well thought-out information shared. From time to time, you see cars like the finished product...either in person or on the 'net. For me, I am always curious how the car came to be and it is even more (MUCH more) interesting when the owner is the person who thought out, researched & implemented the restoration/transformation.

Around the same time as Bill, perhaps ahead by a couple years, I was doing the same sort of research pouring over printed documents, semi "rare" books & the Internet as it was at the time (I think mine was already pretty fast by about 1996), but with the first round of young kids & a young man's income I was mostly relegated to window shopping or doing lesser, practical mods (some may say "hacks") on cars at the time. Now, with a new set of young kids, but an older man's budget, I am revisiting all of it, so this is like being able to relive the 'hunt' while also comparing notes with someone who definitely hit it out of the park!

I had a Pinin top once & still have a regret every once in a while about selling it (even though it's in much better hands with Jim). My thought was - as those upthread - it was a very cool piece but I had a hard time imagining using it in east TN. These days with the advent of retrofit AC that actually works & doesn't kill the engine, I am re-thinking that. I have my Friedman Works Stradale 1973 124 that would be a wonderful place to put a Pinin top, but for the time being the nicely worn black vinyl top is fine (since it's mostly down anyway).

Thank you so much for the contribution!
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 pm

The trouble with making a tribute Stradale here in the DC area is that there is a real Stradale in the club and parking next to that with your poor clone is terribly embarrassing to me. I moved my sights more to a " race car put back on the street" look. That's the direction I took with the X.

I love reading this thread because of the research and details, something I never got into, it really does take more than a flat black hood!
Attachments
IMG_0936[1].JPG
IMG_0936[1].JPG (36.06 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
atruscott
Last Name: Truscott
First Name: Andy

Post by atruscott » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Yes... back dating a 76 chassis. Also, with patience, I can get a CSA VIN....

I’ve gone for the smooothed look. Seams closed, flares blended into the body etc.

Agree on the melting in Texas!
1960 Autobianchi Bianchina Transformabile
1970 238 Camper OHV
1974 124 Wagon TC
1974 124 Special TC
1975 124 Sport Coupe
1976 124 Sport Spider (The Racer)
1981 Spider 2000 (The Resurrected)
1985 Pininfarina Azzurra
2017 124 Spider Abarth Elaborazione
atruscott
Last Name: Truscott
First Name: Andy

Post by atruscott » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:39 pm

And here’s the top.....
Attachments
39D0866F-C115-4A98-BA71-D1F7E514AA5F.jpeg
39D0866F-C115-4A98-BA71-D1F7E514AA5F.jpeg (16.55 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
1960 Autobianchi Bianchina Transformabile
1970 238 Camper OHV
1974 124 Wagon TC
1974 124 Special TC
1975 124 Sport Coupe
1976 124 Sport Spider (The Racer)
1981 Spider 2000 (The Resurrected)
1985 Pininfarina Azzurra
2017 124 Spider Abarth Elaborazione
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:16 am

atruscott wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:39 pm
And here’s the top.....
----------------------------------------------------
--Great post Andy. What is the source of that picture? If I were to pursue making a Targa top from a Pininfarina, I think I would consider making the front section one piece, vice the two pictured. I realize this would create a storage issue when removed, but it would also eliminate the center seam, which from a strength and leak consideration might be more practical.

--As a second thought, I guess I'm wondering why this thread is in the BS section? Bill, this stuff is anything but BS! :lol:
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 CSA Abarth Replica
1981 Fiat Spider Ratrod
Slartibartfaster
Last Name: T
First Name: L

Post by Slartibartfaster » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:25 am

This is a great thread.

Curious if anyone has attempted to duplicate the Abarth's independent rear suspension. More importantly, I'd like to hear from anyone who has driven an original and how they compare.
72 124 Spider (the loud one)
79 Sport Spider 2000 (the date car)
ST3Racer

Post by ST3Racer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:47 pm

Carl,
Nice X. Are there more pictures of this car? Yes, I suppose it is more than a black hood. Depends on how far you want to go with a tribute or replica. I was all-in.

Andy,
Backdating a '75 and newer was covered nicely by Randy Beeken. I am also doing the same thing on my Vintage build, and just made a template from the Stradale, and transferred it to the front of the racer. I will take pictures and post to that thread, but many thanks to Beek! The Top picture is interesting. Still a shame to modify a Pinin top, though. I just thought that I could post a picture of my Stradale replica with the convertible to up, but I don't have one. I'll take one. It is in the garage, with the top down, but I am going to give it a wash, so the top will be up, if only for an hour.

Jim,
Blame Beek for the location of this thread. His write-up on his '75 inspired me to do this - in BS...

Slarti,
I will have more to say about the IRS, in relation to my replica build, in a future posting in this thread. I would like to compare the handling also, if only for the opportunity to drive the real thing... Briefly, the history of the IRS is that when FIAT started rally with the Spider in '70?, they were getting good results on Tarmac, but lousy results on Gravel, so they went to Abarth for the IRS. Rally technology was ramping up at that time, and FIAT/Lancia would be a huge part of that ramp-up, leading up to the crazy FIA Rally cars of today.

Next: A little more outside spotting features, and then the Interior. Later: Engine and driveline, and more - I have a lot to cover.
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado