Garage building thoughts, aesthetics & ultimate shop layout

The all purpose conversational forum
lanciahf
Last Name:

Re: Garage building thoughts, specifically prefab/metal & aesthetics

Post by lanciahf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Any thoughts on a pole barn garage? They are fairly cheap and quick to build.
Ralph DeLauretis
2013 Fiat 500 POP
1984 Pininfarina Spider
Recovering Scorpion Owner.
Dan_B
Last Name:

Post by Dan_B » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:02 am

Pole barn would be cheap and inexpensive, but what would you do for floors? If it's just for storage of cars you can get away with a recycled brick/paver floor, but if you're working on cars you'll want a real slab. Once you have the slab, common wood framing is the most economical way to go. The slab is probably going to cost more than the bulk of the structure...
cgranju
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 am

I could imagine a pole barn (of sorts) in our rather vast concrete drive/parking area (unusually large...don't know why...we didn't build it...blame the late 1950s sprawl) as a temp structure while the larger plan is being completed & early execution. Ultimately, the garage is for workshop space. I more or less have storage or could have storage covered w/o so much grief, but my area for doing any real work is lousy.

I should have clarified re the pool filling....that's not where I am thinking of building a garage, but the fill material for the pool creates an excavated area on grade with our driveway to locate a garage.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
kmead
Last Name: Karl
First Name: Mead

Post by kmead » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:27 pm

A post structured building makes a lot of sense as they are cheaper in general. They can look like regular structures either with metal siding/roofing or more conventional treatments.

The posts are placed 8-9' on center with purlins running across the posts at the base, mid and roof line. They can have conventionally structured roofs or use heavier weight clear span trusses. The post holes can be dug by a large post hole digger and in your neck of the woods you would only need to go down 4'.

The concrete can be poured inside after the rest of the structure is complete.

Most lumber yards offer kits or allow you to generate your own, in my area Menards provides a variety of ways to choose what you want with a configuration. This is a preset example:

https://www.menards.com/main/building-m ... oreId=3144

A nice thing about a pole building is you can put the roof on before the "walls" are up so stuff could start being populated inside the structure before its "done".

Conventional is easy too, I assume a slab on grade would be adequate.
1969 850 Sport Coupe
1970 124 Sport Coupe
1985 X1/9, ugly but fun to drive. Olive trees are hell on paint and interiors apparently. Who knew?
1987 X1/9 slowly coming back
And a few appliances for day to day
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:18 am

I like this bad boy, but the wife said no :)

https://www.menards.com/main/building-m ... oreId=3316

We're also considering a 3 car garage addition with finished living space above (one bedroom, office, bathroom, kithenette). Early in the planning stages ourselves. I have a buddy that's an architect helping with the plans. Not sure if we'll go attached or detatched. I'm liking the idea of detatched and renting to a grounds keeper when I get too old to take care of our property. We're many years from that day, hopefully :)
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:14 am

We live a few miles down the road from a mixed "new town" that was laid out in neo-traditional style by Duany and Zyberk. One of the goals was to provide some housing that was affordable to people who worked in the retail district of the town and to retirees as well. The region is known for the high cost of its real estate and the long commutes for people of modest means. So a certain number of small rental units and condos were planned.

Some of these rental units were placed on the second and third floors of retail buildings "over the shops" and some were placed in second floor of detached two-story garages served by alleys running through the center of the residential blocks behind the houses. Both were common housing alternatives in traditional neighborhood before WWII.

There was resistance to idea of apartments over garages or to two story garages of any sort. Neither allowed in the county or model state code at the time. Both were thought to attract at-home businesses to residential neighborhoods with resulting parking and traffic issues.
But the new town was allowed to carve out a whole set of exceptions to local codes.

The sample houses showed these heated and plumbed second floor garage living spaces as guest suites. I think a good portion of them wound up at housing for grown children and retired parents and I think they were fairly popular with buyers. But area resistance to the idea has not abated.

Whenever living and garage space intersect there is an issue of fire protection. Even in the 21st century cars sometimes catch fire after being parked. See the car fire videos on YouTube. When it happens, the contents of the fuel system are sometimes released to the floor under the vehicle. If you attach the garage to the house you are usually expected to create a fire barrier between the two in the form of fire rated drywall and doors. You are also often required to have a grade separation for the floor so that liquid gasoline cannot flow from the garage into the living space. When there is living space over the garage with its own HVAC systems, there are often restrictions and venting requirements to prevent the possibility of gas fumes reaching an ignition source such as the burner of a gas water heater. All of this can be dealt with but it drives up costs.

Fortunately one day soon we will all be driving electric cars powered from lithium batteries and worries about the hazards of internal combustion engines will be gone. ;)
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:20 am

rridge wrote:
Fortunately one day soon we will all be driving electric cars powered from lithium batteries and worries about the hazards of internal combustion engines will be gone. ;)
As long as Samsung stays out of the battery market we may be ok. I drove a Tesla... cool as they are, the driving experience is lost.
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
cgranju
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:51 am

That is interesting. Completely unrelated to wanting an awesome garage for my Fiat hobby, one of my big interests is land planning/land use/how we build our environment...for me, much about how it may minimize environmental impacts, create nice spaces, etc. Then completely contrary to that & to the situation you describe, I'm working with 2 acres in a late 1950s development & a lot that's probably about 1/2 wooded. The upshot is that there is space (though topographically, the house isn't in the ideal spot to make great room for the garage) and we do not have things like a historic overlay or plat-based building requirements with a neighborhood organization who wants to police stuff like the color of a garage door. That scenario could prove frightening & the way it works is that people keep things in line on their own & thus I want the project to yield something that does not change the face of the house/lot in the neighborhood and is generally attractive & tasteful.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
Dan_B
Last Name:

Post by Dan_B » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:22 pm

I've contemplated just bulldozing my house and rebuilding it as a two story with the bottom being all garage...
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:42 am

Chris, you need to look in some British classic car magazines where there are ads for prefab garages that look like log cabins or carriage housed from country estates....they would look beautiful in any neighborhood. By the way, I live In one of those neighborhoods where you need HOA permission to change the color of your garage door and I put dead tags from other cars on my under construction Fiats to calm the neighbors from thinking I have a Fiat recycle center or repair shop at my house.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9