Garage building thoughts, aesthetics & ultimate shop layout

The all purpose conversational forum
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Re: Garage building thoughts, specifically prefab/metal & aesthetics

Post by rridge » Wed May 24, 2017 10:56 am

I've read that first installment in Grassroots and it looks pretty much on target with my own experience and costs. I used a kit also, a 3-bay 20 x 30' garage with a second floor for storage. The space between cars makes some work awkward. I also have posts on each side of the center bay supporting the second floor which further reduces maneuvering space. When you are thinking about an overhead lift think about the posts and what they do to usable floor space. And of course go with a design that uses free span roof trusses to avoid additional obstacles unless you plan a second floor.

When I am doing serious work on a car in one of the end bays and I park the daily driver which normally resides in the center bay outside to give myself more unrestricted floor space. Convenient parking on the apron outside the garage can contribute to effective work space inside. It also reduces complaints from spouses that you have tied up the whole garage.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Wed May 24, 2017 11:34 am

I got the GRM the other day & digested it enthusiastically. We will still have a second garage/carport parking area for a daily driver (including Mrs Granju's vehicle) so nothing in the garage will be subject to urgent use. For me, I have always parked outside in the rain, cold, heat, etc with daily drivers in favor of protecting the interesting cars.

Carl, considering the proposed size and the amount of earth moving anticipated (in general...some has little to do with the garage itself, and thankfully the garage will be located on cut NOT fill), we don't anticipate it being inexpensive....we just want the expenditures to be made thoughtfully so they return the best value possible. Perhaps this could be analogous to building a swimming pool.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
baltobernie2
Last Name:

Post by baltobernie2 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Have you made a decision regarding attached/detached?

If the new garage is less than 5 feet from the house, it will need "fire protection" (complete drywall coverage). Some local codes will also stipulate various levels of electrical service, etc. for attached garages.

There's no opportunity for DIY electrical, plumbing, and so forth on an attached garage. You can get a Final inspection on a detached garage, then do what you want.
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:08 am

most definitely it will be detached. Fire safety, security from random kids hurting stuff or getting hurt, security from annoying the spouse with odors, stuff expanding into the living area etc. & the general layout we have to work with are all compelling factors. The location will require some rather vast excavation, so I think my next step while the design itself is fine-tuned is to talk with a friend or two who work in the excavation & land development to see how I can go about moving a good amount of dirt w/o completely blowing my budget on that. The upshot of that part is that it will balance within my lot...in other words, I don't need to haul anything off or on site.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
Dan_B
Last Name:

Post by Dan_B » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:13 am

rridge wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 10:56 am
It also reduces complaints from spouses that you have tied up the whole garage.
You'd probably be happier if you reduce the number to one. They are also generally more agreeable if you don't keep them tied up.
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:55 am

that's some Rick James stuff there...
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi folks...I'm reviving this thread. Our garage plans got slowed, side-tracked & nearly put on ice due to a father-in-law who had a stroke, lived with us for a bit, and generally has required a large amount of time, care & attention. Such is life, eh?

So, the nature of the construction I've mostly come to terms with, including drawing up a grading plan for our entire yard. Considerations for usability within a 28' x48' garage remain a question. Obviously there's lots of usable space, but is there some great benefit I could derive from it being a bit more or less in one direction?

Also, I know many folks here have or regularly use lifts, both 2 & 4 post. I anticipate I will have one of each for both extended storage & for working purposes. I probably will NOT have one of each immediately, but I want to plan so that it will work with a lift. I'd be interested in hearing how much space around a lift is really "enough" in your (collective) mind and also any recommendations (if there are any) for a good choice for both types of lifts.

thanks again!
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
kmead
Last Name: Karl
First Name: Mead

Post by kmead » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Check with Jon Ranney about his movable two post lift. It lifts the car enough to use a stool under the car, not stand.

It can be moved to other positions in a garage with appropriate preparation and the units can be moved by one person.

Karl
1969 850 Sport Coupe
1970 124 Sport Coupe
1985 X1/9, ugly but fun to drive. Olive trees are hell on paint and interiors apparently. Who knew?
1987 X1/9 slowly coming back
And a few appliances for day to day
fiatrn
Last Name: FiatRN
First Name: the

Post by fiatrn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:44 am

Chris
I recently designed and constructed myself a garage (in metro Denver - lots of rules). Things to note:

1 - no matter what you can afford, it will never be large enough
2 - if you have to move car A to get to car B, car B will almost never be driven
3 - the more vehicle doors, the better
4 - a human door is a great idea, too, bc you don't always want to open the vehicle door
5 - work hard on your design to make it fit your yard/main home/ etc - the whole world has to see it, so make it pretty
6 - think a lot about heating and/or cooling. will you leave it warm all the time? only when you are working in it? ever need cooling?
7 - roofing and drainage from same. shingles, hydrostop, pitch, runoff, water control, ice melt, sun exposure, reflectivity
8 - natural light, artificial light - use both wisely
9 - there is very little that insulates as well as dirt. green roofing, gardenscape, etc.
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:16 am

I'm reviving this sunk thread because, of course, I am still working on this. The last year has had a lot (more..they keep coming) life-generated setbacks , but we have made design progress. I have an estimate for what seemed to me to be a massive amount of site grading for a residential lot (12' of cut over a roughly 30'x50' + 25'x50' area with most of that filled in a another area of the yard) that was actually a good bit less than I expected. That minor 'victory' was offset by an estimate for the garage structure that sounds like a house. Since those ideas of living with it, aesthetics, not trashing our property (we are a bit lucky in that we are surrounded by expensive-for-the-area real estate so there is some room to get out of proportion at the moment & know that in time things will even out) are important, we are working with my friend the architect on ways to lower the cost without significantly lessening the function of the garage. I'll probably be coming back to ask some further detail questions/check my thoughts, but at the moment I'm looking at lessening the ceiling height. The original plan basically has a 12' (actually an inch or two less) height with the thought of having ample room for a 2 & 4 post lift (work & storage). OK, sure, always the more the better, right, but for a functional work space, I'd be interested to hear what the minimum ceiling height works for reasonable clearance, standing up to work under a car (I'm 5'9" not 6'8", thankfully!), being able to use a 4 post for storage, etc. I wasn't planning on using upper wall space for storage (or, at least it's not essential) and I am planning on having HVAC, so less volume to heat/cool is probably wise.

that last list was wonderful...and to point...
1 - no matter what you can afford, it will never be large enough I hae 30' deep/48' wide, but with insets for architectural reasons
2 - if you have to move car A to get to car B, car B will almost never be driven I know this axiom all too well from my current situation!...but the upshot is that I have developed the emotional calluses to move cars....sometimes...
3 - the more vehicle doors, the better I hear this, but I'm rather set on 2 9' doors to keep it residential looking (think, stealth)
4 - a human door is a great idea, too, bc you don't always want to open the vehicle door yes! I would think 3/4 of access would be a walking human do do work or fetch something
5 - work hard on your design to make it fit your yard/main home/ etc - the whole world has to see it, so make it pretty yes, thus my friend the architect who has that eye for such things...and thus my wife's input on brick facing to match our house, etc.
6 - think a lot about heating and/or cooling. will you leave it warm all the time? only when you are working in it? ever need cooling? currently intending a mini/split HVAC. It can get very hot here though the orientation of the garage is rather ideal in terms of shade, direct sun.
7 - roofing and drainage from same. shingles, hydrostop, pitch, runoff, water control, ice melt, sun exposure, reflectivity the original design is for a metal roof, low pitch (no real snow issues btw), but I am learning that if I wanted a metal roof I should have bought it about 10 years ago.
8 - natural light, artificial light - use both wisely At this point, we have 2 real windows...casements to roll out, which seems nice. I guess windows are a balance of light & security.
9 - there is very little that insulates as well as dirt. green roofing, gardenscape, etc. an underground/built into the hillside/green roof would be wonderful. I've almost always had basement type garages to work in & I never really needed much in terms of heat or cooling. That said, a poured, waterproof 12' tall and in total as much as 70' long engineered retaining wall for the back/side walls of the garage is out of the budget.

I am going to see if i can make a jpg of the plan I have to add to this post. EDIT..and done...
granju-garage_siteplan_jpg.jpg
granju-garage_siteplan_jpg.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 2137 times
granju-garage_plan_jpg.jpg
granju-garage_plan_jpg.jpg (802.93 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
Chris Granju
sunny East TN