Garage building thoughts, aesthetics & ultimate shop layout

The all purpose conversational forum
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Garage building thoughts, aesthetics & ultimate shop layout

Post by cgranju » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:14 pm

I'd figure a number of people here have some experience with this. I'm planning on a rather in-depth yard grading project (including filling in a swimming pool - thank god!) that will include creating of what I want to be a nice garage/workshop space. Architecturally, I'm not sure if it will be built as an addition to the house or a free-standing building. We have a few constraints (topo, budget, codes, etc.) but even so, there is likely space for a good sized garage. My thought is 3 bays but space where (perhaps only with skates) as many as 5-6 Fiats could fit indoors...we'll see how that works out as our plan evolves. Contruction-wise, the metal buildings you see in every part of the country, advertised everywhere, etc. seem like the most economical way to get square footage. That said, aesthetics matters, so I've been looking into what it would take to add a brick facade (or footwall half facade) to a metal building. Thought I'd ask here if anyone here has built something like this, perhaps adding architectural detail to a prefab structure and making it nice. And, even if you haven't done that, if you've built (or had built) one of these things, is there anything you learned in the process that you wish someone had told you about before you did it?

thanks in advance. This is all about keeping the Fiats nice & safe!
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Re: Garage building thoughts, specifically prefab/metal & aesthetics

Post by rridge » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Codes can be a real stumbling block. They become more complex when the garage is attached to the house. Even if you wind up going with a metal clad pole barn, paying a local architect $500 to consult on the overall design and placement on the lot is money well spent.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:17 pm

I should add, I'm working with a couple friends on the general plan...one is an architect, the other owns a landscaping company that does some grading type work...and I'm a civil engineer (and work for the same agency that has to inspect...which, actually is not a great thing). But design-wise, I told my wife I had no doubt I could come up with a plan/design/etc. that would be awesome for my car hobby, but I'd rather our home not look like (or look more like...) an Appalachian junkyard. I also thought the several hundred bucks spent on concept & aesthetic is well-spent. How it ultimately moves through with execution, I don't know.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Ooooooooooooh I see this thread going on for five or six pages. You saw my garage, the usual two car garage attached to my house. No room or money to expand. I will say you can't have too many electrical outlets and figure out in advance any HVAC needs before building, adequate heating makes it an all year comfortable environment and I gather where you live AC might be a delight too.

No experience with all metal buildings but isn't moisture build-up on the inside an issue?
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
bark
Last Name:

Post by bark » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:27 pm

You should keep part of the swimming pool as a grease pit unless you're going whole hog with a lift. Says I. b-
Bill Barker
Madison, Wisconsin
1976 FIAT 128 Sedan
"Where did all these car parts come from?" actual wife quote
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:46 pm

There needs to be a lift, 2 post most likely, but the pool is to be buried & then under another 5-6' fill (the fill makes room for a garage elsewhere, on already compacted soil).
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
bartigue
seimila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Metal buildings are ugly and cold. Good for lawnmowers and welding shops I guess. Consider standard construction; if you don't finish the interior (who needs sheetrock in a garage?) then the cost shouldn't be too obscene.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1969, 1969, 1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1982 124 Spiders
1969, 1970 850 Spiders
77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
lanciahf
Last Name:

Post by lanciahf » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi Chris,
After a major renovation and many hassles with contractors and especially the local township all I can say is move move and move again. Unless you are a gluten for punishment and love paying fees on the whim of a township official. Find yourself a nice garage with a "house" and enjoy your time. That's what I would do if I had to do it all over again.
Ralph
Ralph DeLauretis
2013 Fiat 500 POP
1984 Pininfarina Spider
Recovering Scorpion Owner.
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:36 pm

I suppose one benefit of the local Scotch Irish heritage southern Appalachian culture is that if you compared the township rules/codes/inspections in the NE (or PNW I'm sure, probably most places) to here, you'd probably fall over. I don't expect that part to be terrible and I hope to also have the assistance of folks who actually know the rules since I know those people...but still, yes, don't think I haven't considered it. We are quite lucky to live in a location that is wonderful, appreciates more solidly than most others around here & affords a certain amount of privacy w/o being "out in the country". If we lived anywhere else in this town, I'd already have the house packed up & ready for staging.

I suppose that experience from others on traditional construction vs. a metal building having done either route would be good to know. My impression was metal can be insulated, and according to WWW sites selling the kits can be given nice facades that at least look good at 100'. My gut feeling would be that a traditionally built bare shell ought to be reasonably affordable, but I do want as much space as I can get. so, weighing out options & hoping things I did not really consider will ping. Thanks!
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Single story garage walls are easy to build on site with dimension lumber and 4x8 sheathing. Vinyl siding is cheap and maintenance free.. Sloped roofs with prefab wood trusses go up quickly and are tough to beat on cost and performance as are conventional roof shingles over plywood sheathing.

Insulation in garages has downsides. Mice love to nest in nice warm fiberglass or cellulose and keeping mice and other critters and bugs out of a building with multiple large overhead doors is difficult. Mice and stored cars are a bad mix.

Outfits like 84Lumber sell both prefab components and complete material packages and can be a good source for plans, material lists and cost projections. https://www.84lumber.com/projects-plans/garages/

Footings, slab. paving for drive and parking apron and grading of the footprint and apron around it can add 30% to the total project cost.
That's why some attention to site layout can pay dividends.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD