VAS shocks/springs anyone?

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
bjbrown
Last Name: Brown
First Name: Bob

Re: VAS shocks/springs anyone?

Post by bjbrown » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:06 pm

I fitted my 1980 spider with the VAS springs & their new shocks. Although I don't have but less than 100 miles so far, I'm impressed. The ride seems very nice and the ride height was right-on after installation, and torqueing of the suspension while loaded as specified. I've heard several people in forums/groups complain that their springs didn't lower the car evenly, but mine seems perfect!

BTW, I had originally procured KYB GR-2 shocks, but decided to go with Vick's once they offered the OEM-style units. I'd heard too many conflicting reports on the KYB gas shocks.
Boise, Idaho
1972 Fiat Spider 850
1980 Fiat Spider 2000
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:28 pm

bjbrown wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:06 pm
I fitted my 1980 spider with the VAS springs & their new shocks. Although I don't have but less than 100 miles so far, I'm impressed. The ride seems very nice and the ride height was right-on after installation, and torqueing of the suspension while loaded as specified. I've heard several people in forums/groups complain that their springs didn't lower the car evenly, but mine seems perfect!

BTW, I had originally procured KYB GR-2 shocks, but decided to go with Vick's once they offered the OEM-style units. I'd heard too many conflicting reports on the KYB gas shocks.
Did you go progressive or performance springs?
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
bjbrown

Post by bjbrown » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:28 am

Progressive
Boise, Idaho
1972 Fiat Spider 850
1980 Fiat Spider 2000
ST3Racer
Last Name: McMahan
First Name: Bill

Post by ST3Racer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:12 pm

Late to this party, and haven't tried the VAS package, but I can say some things about the KONI Yellows. I purchased a set for my 124 Stradale project about 16-18 years ago, and can say that they were very stiff. The car was balance and worked well on the street set 1/3 from soft on both ends. I did some work on a Vintage race 124 spider about 5-6 years ago, and ordered a set of Yellows for that car. The fronts came in right away but I had to wait for the rears. My customer had a race to go to so I swapped the rears from my Stradale to the rear of his Racer. As circumstances played out, the old Yellow rears remained on his Racer, and I took the newer ITT Konis and installed them on the rear of my Spider. The newer ones are a lot softer in the damping department that the older ones.... While I have the old fronts adjusted 1/3 from soft, I had to adjust the newer rears to 1/4 turn from full hard to balance the car! I wish I had the older ones on the rear.
So, if you hesitate to buy the newer Yellows for your Spider fearing a too rough ride, based on historical information, you should reconsider. The newer KONI Yellows will give a compliant ride, adjustability, and good control. Still the best buy in 124 Spider shocks.
I am considering sending my new Yellow rears to KONI for revalving, as I occasionally track the car....
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
'69 124 Spider 2L Volumex NASA ST3 Racecar
'74 124 Abarth Stradale Replica
davedecker4
Last Name: Decker
First Name: Dave

Post by davedecker4 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:10 am

So the new Yellows are like the old reds,
rather than like the old yellows?
Dave Decker
a 'couple' Fiats and Lancia's
ST3Racer
Last Name: McMahan
First Name: Bill

Post by ST3Racer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:38 am

Dave,
I have never owned a set of the KONI Reds, but by my experience with these two particular sets of Yellows, I would say that your assessment is most likely correct. Regardless, I strongly believe that if your 124 Spider (or Coupe, or 131) needs Shocks - that the KONIs are the answer. They will last past the life of the car, so the extra cost is worth it - a one-time buy. Over the years, I have seen many posts on various forums about shock selection, and the discussion is mostly how anything else doesn't last (Monroe), or is overly harsh (KYB), or about how EXPENSIVE the KONIs are. Two sets of anything else is more than one set of the KONIs..... Your money, and your time.
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
'69 124 Spider 2L Volumex NASA ST3 Racecar
'74 124 Abarth Stradale Replica
vandor
quattromila club
Last Name:

Post by vandor » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:05 am

davedecker4 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:10 am
So the new Yellows are like the old reds, rather than like the old yellows?
AFAIK the difference between the reds and the yellows was that the reds were only single adjustable (rebound only), while the yellows were double-adjustable (both compression and rebound stiffen/loosen when adjusted).
Csaba
Parts: http://www.autoricambi.us
Cars: http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/Fiat.html
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'72 124 Coupe, new project, ex-Pete, ex-Eli, ex-Jack car (all Mira members)
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:35 pm

KONI yellows are no more firm than KYB gas shocks in my experience. I'll also contend that unless you're going out on track day you'll do just fine with KYBs or Gabriels. I preferred the Gabriels when they were made, they were oil filled and had a nice touring ride. I find my KONI equipped Spider rides like a truck. Handles better, perhaps, but they all seem to handle nicely.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
bjbrown

Post by bjbrown » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:39 pm

Ok, we just got back from our shakedown cruise. Boise, Idaho to Seattle and back. Totaled 1600 miles altogether on roads of various quality (including a few miles reluctantly on gravel!). I have to report the VAS progressive springs and their new OEM-style hydraulic shocks performed way beyond my expectations! The ride was quite compliant and comfortable when motoring easily along. When I pitched her into the windies in a spirited manner she firmed RIGHT up and performed as I expect from a sports car. There was one section of road that suddenly turned to massive potholes and frost heaves without warning! Fortunately, I saw these in time to reduce speed a bit before getting totally launched. Nonetheless, the suspension handled it all with grace and surefootedness.

Needless to say, I'm VERY pleased with the combination. Now, I'm not familiar with any other shock/spring combination, but I love this setup and would highly recommend!

BTW, this is on standard iron cross aluminum wheels with 185 section Toyo tires. Lovely!
Boise, Idaho
1972 Fiat Spider 850
1980 Fiat Spider 2000
davedecker4
Last Name: Decker
First Name: Dave

Post by davedecker4 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks for the rundown. :)
185 width on a 70 series or 60, or something else?
Dave Decker
a 'couple' Fiats and Lancia's