The curse of wheel locks

The all purpose conversational forum
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

The curse of wheel locks

Post by friedman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:15 pm

I don't know what the value of using wheel locks is but they are not worth the misery of losing the key. Yes, I removed a wheel on my GTI two days ago and keep the wheel lock key in the center console. Went to remove a wheel today and the key is not there. I have turned the garage upside down and even walked the street in front of my house (did I leave the key on the lug bolt and it fell off on the street?). You can only look at the socket tray in your tool box so many times looking for it. My advice is throw away locking wheel bolts/nuts and the key as far as you can if you buy a car with them on. And before you ask, GTIs have very deep set openings for the wheel bolts and the old trick of hammering on a socket onto the head of the bolt simply is not possible. I hope the VW dealer has a solution.

And what makes matters worse for me is I lost the very expensive key to my GTI just two days ago walking from the car to my house, a trip of maybe 30 feet. Wife and I are still joking but you have to wonder if you are truly losing your mind when crap like this happens.

Yea, I'm venting but give me a break. Meanwhile I'm playing with the 77X and having no issues...................so far.

crazy carl
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Re: The curse of wheel locks

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Holy [expletive] ...... Carl! I thought I was the only one afflicted..... FN modern keys need to be programmed.......&^%$^$#!!..... Safe deposit box keys... lost walking from bank to car, .... the list is long .... recently "lost" one key for the 500L , replacement key was $160 and programing was another $75 ... found the "lost " key a couple months later... In plain FN sight ! ... it is useless until it is reprogramed .. for another $75... feel your pain
Joe DeGasperis
DougR
Last Name:

Post by DougR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:00 pm

Hmmmm, forgot what I was gonna say. :)
Jefco
Last Name: Aurand
First Name: Jeff

Post by Jefco » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Did you look on the end of the torque wrench, Carl? ;)
Jeff
1986 Bertone
1972 124 Coupe
1987 Maserati Biturbo i spyder
1970 Volvo 145
Ex '74 X1/9, '75 124 Coupe, '70? 850 spider
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:52 am

Yes I did look on the end of the torque wrench....several times...even though the key is not a socket, it fits between the socket and the wheel bolt.
You other guys provide the support I need. Maybe DCfiats needs an "old guys losing it" lunch and conference once a month but most of us would probably forget to go.

Today I'm going to go around the garage floor....every square in as I'm convinced the key just rolled off the workbench. As for now, the GTI has run flat tires as in if one goes flat I will still run on it since I can't get it off!

As for the key, as JD notes, it will be useless once the new key is programmed.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Post by jseabolt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:12 pm

I almost ran into this same problem with my Spider. I used to keep the wheel lock in my toolbox then one day when I needed it, it was gone. I was about to panic when I remembered I moved it to the spare tire wheel well with the jack. Because I have been known to use my toolbox in another car.
cstorry
Last Name:

Post by cstorry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:52 pm

the ones on my truck stripped and the lock would not longer work - I welded a bolt onto the lock and removed them all and repalaced with :regular" wheel nuits
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:50 am

The GTI wheels have the wheel bolt heads sunk into the outer surface of the wheel face about and inch so it's really hard to do anything like that. I checked the Vortex forum site and almost all the posts say VW dealers have keys to remove them so I'll find out Monday. Most of the posts also say to get rid of wheel locks as nobody steals wheels anymore....they just steal your car!

Really, who the hell is going to steal Fiat wheels anyway.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9