Storing brake calipers &/or MC

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
cgranju
mille club
Last Name:

Storing brake calipers &/or MC

Post by cgranju » Mon May 14, 2018 11:02 pm

I've read some philosophical debates & some good arguments on ways to store brake components without corrosion issues. In my experience, I have usually either transferred parts from one sealed system to another or rebuilt/overhauled ones from storage. I am curious if anyone here has experience storing (used) brake calipers (maybe even an MC) off the car in a way that will allow them to be used without hassle. I am figuring air (or humidity that is) is the issue...vac seal? Wrap/ziplock?

Basically, I have what I believe will be a nice donor brake set up (in a functional, sealed system) for my basket case 124 Coupe that I could transfer from the donor car to the Coupe but it's not ready/logistics/etc so I became curious if storage for about a year is viable.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Re: Storing brake calipers &/or MC

Post by friedman » Tue May 15, 2018 8:12 am

Nope, just put them on my brake parts shelf in the basement without any protection. They can sit there for years without any visible degradation.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Tue May 15, 2018 9:21 am

I've flushed them out with kerosene before, drained, and then left on the shelf.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Tue May 15, 2018 11:04 am

--If the used ones are crusty/corroded when you get them, just remove the old brake hoses, open/remove the bleeder screw and drop them into used engine oil. They can remain there for years, and when you are ready to refurbish them, the task will be much easier. You particularly want to avoid corrosion on the piston/bore. For rear calipers, you can remove the rubber dust boot first.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
cgranju
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Tue May 15, 2018 1:14 pm

I believe these are good, not particularly crusty, basically what you would expect on a reasonably maintained car. If my timing were a little better I would simply transfer them immediately from the donor to the other car but really they would get in my way at the moment.

Sounds like a variety of options here as well. Maybe combining kerosene bath with oil dip is good...basically I would like to be able to pull them out of storage clean them and use them rather than cleanup corrosion from brake fluid which may or may not be an issue.

Thanks! I figure this may be a question others can benefit from as well
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
AZRuss124
Last Name: Wakefield
First Name: Russ

Post by AZRuss124 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm

for small items, I will spray them with WD-40 or something similar and seal them in a zip-lock bag. For big items like cam shafts, I coat them and use stretch wrap.
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Post by jseabolt » Fri May 25, 2018 8:18 am

I rebuilt sone brake calipers for later use and put them in some ziplock baggies and as every manual says lubricate with brake fluid. Well when I decided to use , they had turned crusty and had to tear them apart again. I realize most people don't have access to industrial products but I always use Dow Corning silicone valve and O-ring lubricant to lube brake seals and it seems to work better long term. DOT3 Brake fluid won't dissolve it but silicone based brake fluid might.