Last Name: Frost
First Name: Marc

Re: 128 Race Car Project

Post by Fiat128racecar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:35 pm

Valencia1 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 pm
The car cannot cost more than $500, except for:

Wheels, tires, wheel bearings, balljoints, and brake components
Exhaust systems downstream of the header/exhaust manifold (NOTE: Turbos and related components are NOT exempt from the $500 limit. Nice try.)
Windshields and wipers.
Driver comfort & information (steering wheel, shifter, gauges, pedals, cool suits, vents, heaters, radio)
All fuel hoses, fuel fittings, fuel filters, and related mounts
All fuel-system components upstream of the fuel pump, including tanks/cells, mounts, fillers, vents, etc.
And the rll cage.

So I'm thinking I can make this work, the roll cage is easily $600, I can figure out the rest I'm thinking. I need to measure the wheelbase though: the minimum is 82 inches.
I doubt the Lemons guys will allow $600 for the current cage. Check their website- they are pretty hard core as to what constitutes an adequate cage in their rule set. That's the bad news...

The good news is, the Lemons guys LOVE weird and quirky stuff, and they would probably overlook a lot of non-safety related stuff in terms of budget. Email them and ask them. They are pretty receptive to "interpret" the rules for cars they want to see racing.

Marc in Indy
Valencia1
Last Name: Lawrence
First Name: Alan

Post by Valencia1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:39 pm

I hear you. I've raced many cars but this would be my first Lemons, though I have friends that campaign (Fast Al's, etc.) mostly the ubiquitous Volvos and some Mercedes. The roll bar in this doesn't qualify but I'm a welder and I think with a front hoop, the top connectors and door X bars I'll be fine, and yep I'm now pretty sure I'll get an $800 allowance for safety parts and there's a few other items here that will let me get under the cap. Anyone else in the east coast want to waste hundreds of hours of prep and at least 4-6 hours of sweaty seat time in the name of the Old Fiat Atlantic Racing Team Stars?
Fiat128racecar
Last Name: Frost
First Name: Marc

Post by Fiat128racecar » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Valencia1 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:39 pm
I hear you. I've raced many cars but this would be my first Lemons, though I have friends that campaign (Fast Al's, etc.) mostly the ubiquitous Volvos and some Mercedes. The roll bar in this doesn't qualify but I'm a welder and I think with a front hoop, the top connectors and door X bars I'll be fine, and yep I'm now pretty sure I'll get an $800 allowance for safety parts and there's a few other items here that will let me get under the cap. Anyone else in the east coast want to waste hundreds of hours of prep and at least 4-6 hours of sweaty seat time in the name of the Old Fiat Atlantic Racing Team Stars?
If you can weld, you're ready to roll! Lemons homepage has links to their specs for roll cages, so no guessing involved. I've raced with a 1st Gen Honda Civic team out of Texas. I've sold and/or loaned them plenty of parts over time. You don't want a wild motor- key to a high finish is to running consistently clear to the end. This would be a hoot!
davedecker4
Last Name: Decker
First Name: Dave

Post by davedecker4 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Just for inspiration, here is the 'flying fridge' in action:
<https://www.mirafiori.com/oregon2004/sn ... CN0586.htm>
Dave Decker
a 'couple' Fiats and Lancia's