Electronic ignition conversion 73 Spider 1608.

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
Funcar
Last Name: Tschirhart
First Name: Glen

Electronic ignition conversion 73 Spider 1608.

Post by Funcar » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:48 pm

I have gathered the following parts to make the conversion to electronic ignition for my 73 Spider 1608. I have some questions. Also I welcome advice and recommendations for this installation.

The heat sink/coil is the way I bought it and I don't know if the coil is good or not. Looks like I need to remove the coil to install the control module.
( accel part # 35361). The heat sink has 2 screws for this. I purchased the MSD blaster coil 2 to replace the old one. Looks like the positive and negative terminals are opposite to the old one so may just install with the logo on the backside if the wires don't reach? Once I have the heat sink/coil mount ready I will need to attach it to the inner fender of the car. I looked at pictures of the engine bay of 79 -83 spiders and it looks like they put it close to the firewall on the upper side of the inner fend. I would like advice on how to do this and at what angle. I think the coil needs to be oriented in a vertical position for it to work best. Do you just drill holes and bolt it on?

I bought a new distributor from AR. My old distributor has a mark on the lower housing which matches up tp a mark on the mount. How is it placed in the old distributor location? Also my old distributor has numbers on the cap which showed you which spark plug wire to plug in to the appropriate port. Can someone tell me how to make sure I get them connected properly.

What kind of spark plugs are recommended for this setup? any advice and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

Glen
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Re: Electronic ignition conversion 73 Spider 1608.

Post by bartigue » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:44 am

Glen, all of that stuff should work fine. Remove the coil and you can clean up that heat sink, then install the new module (make certain you use the heat resistant paste).

I’d mount it in the same spot as before if you can, the bolt holes should line up. If not then any location where it can be mounted upright or at a slight angle is fine.

I would recommend you read the service manual on setting the ignition timing. The firing order is 1-3-4-2.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
cgranju
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:51 am

It is also likely you'll need something to act as a spacer because your new coil will probably be a slightly lesser diameter than the Marelli.

Anyone-Should there be a resistor for the cool? Seems i found SMW conflicting info on whether it's needed with that coil.

If you end up with a bouncy tach (usually at startup if at all), there's an archive here for a simple fix.

Lining up the rotor is straight forward...the vac module probably gives you less freedom for rotation, but there are no tricks there.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
Funcar
Last Name: Tschirhart
First Name: Glen

Post by Funcar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks Brad. I cleaned the heat sink, mounted the control module and did use the the silicone grease which was included in the package and them bolted on the coil. Cgranui you were right I needed to add some aluminum strips inside the clamp to make it hold.

Here is a picture of the current location of my coil. I will try to place the heat sink in this location but am not sure if it will fit. Hope the wire from the distributor is long enough to plug into the control module. The car is still in storage so it is difficult to work on it. I will be bringing it home Wednesday. Can anyone tell me what that bracket is in the picture. It is welded to the inner fender.

Brad I looked at the service manual. What year of the car would provide the correct timing?

Thanks for your suggestions and recommendations

Glen
fiat850
quattromila club
Last Name:

Post by fiat850 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Funcar wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:13 pm
Here is a picture of the current location of my coil. I will try to place the heat sink in this location but am not sure if it will fit.
It should fit there just fine, mounted vertically. Just remove the (now-black) diagonal metal bracket from the rear of the heat sink, & discard the bracket. Mount the coil pack directly to the inner fender; the 2 main mounting holes in the center of the heat sink (on each side of the "Blaster 2" logo of the coil) should line up with the 2 inner fender coil-bracket studs in your photo.
---------------------------------------------------
Jeff Stich
cgranju
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:59 pm

If I recall correctly, sometimes a bit of boring of one the mounting holes may be in order. Not much
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:22 am

You’ll find happiness around ten degrees
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:38 pm

The mounting bolt in one of the holes on the ignition module grounds the module to the heat sink. The heat sink mounting screws make the ground connection with the chassis. Make sure your mounting hardware is rust free to ensure a good ground path.

The underside of the module is bare metal which passes the heat from the module's electronics to the heat sink. There should be a small amount of white heat sink compound packaged with the new module to smear on it's back prior to mounting. Make sure all residual of the old compound is cleaned from the heat sink before the module goes on.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD