Banjo bolt retainer..

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
daver80
Last Name:

Banjo bolt retainer..

Post by daver80 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:23 am

might be an easy one here, and I think I know the answer.

rebuilt the front caliper but try as I may, could not get the "banjo bolt retainer" lined back up properly.
Of course I spilled what seemed to be 10 gallons of brake fluid all over the place in trying lol
In the end i just tightened the flex line up to 185lbs lol and let it go.
It worked well last summer, and again this spring when i uncovered "her" the master was dry on one side and low on the other,
I've been having that problem for the last....6-8 springs, but never had the master run dry. I bled the front end and the pedal is high and hard.
Either way i trust them enough when I'm doing 220 kph(well thats what the speedo reads lol ya sure. anything over 150 and you can smell the oil spitting out of the 39 year old engine, its her nice way of saying slow down momma's getting old.)
I digress, does anyone but the banjo bolt retainer back on?

thanks Dave
1980 fiat spider
fuel injection
It goes 0 to winery in just over 4 taster tests
and it's red, go figure
wait no, it's cherry rossa
San Jose Steve
Last Name:

Re: Banjo bolt retainer..

Post by San Jose Steve » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:17 am

Is the retainer bent? The only time I've had trouble with them is when they got bent up during removal. Make sure the head of your banjo bolt is clean with crisp edges and the retainer is flat on top.

This is one of those little PITA items that are cheap, but almost impossible to find locally when you need it "right now". The kind of thing that can stretch a 90 minute job into 3-4 days! (Sort of like wedge retainer springs, brake pad anti-rattle springs and stake nuts.) Anytime I order something from our vendors, I include a few of these types of items to the order. -Steve
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 pm

I throw the stupid retainers away, I see no purpose for them since the rear calipers have nothing special to hold the non-banjo bolt hose coupling from turning.

I'd love to hear the tuning specs for your motor to get your spider up to 150 mph!
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
daver80
Last Name:

Post by daver80 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:06 am

Oh it's pure stock lol but the speedo goes to 220km/h = 137.5 mph
K&N filter helped, a bunch of years ago
she's a lot of fun up until 100 km/h or 62.5 mph
it can handle 120 or 75 mph anything over that is just fighting to get there or stay there
at 140 - 150 or 87 - 93 mph i can smell the oil burning as it is coming out of the engine.

ideally the car can go from 0 to winery in just over 3 hours of enjoyment. But you have to go easy on the wine taste tests.
1980 fiat spider
fuel injection
and it's red, go figure
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 am

friedman wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 pm
.............I'd love to hear the tuning specs for your motor to get your spider up to 150 mph!
---------------------------------------------------
--I concur with Carl that the retainers are not necessary, as long as the banjo-bolt is properly secured.

--Carl, please note that Dave posted "150 kph"....not "mph"; but, just for the record, Gary Baucom did record 150mph at the Runoffs at Daytona 3 years ago.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Yea, guess I missed that. If anyone could get a Fiat up to 150 I guess those guys could.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Post by jseabolt » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:03 am

friedman wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 pm
I throw the stupid retainers away, I see no purpose for them since the rear calipers have nothing special to hold the non-banjo bolt hose coupling from turning.

I'd love to hear the tuning specs for your motor to get your spider up to 150 mph!
Ditto on that. The only purpose I can think of that these things serve is for alignment (or hose fitting direction orientation) purposes. To keep the front hose aimed so that it doesn't kink when you turn the steering wheel in one direction or the other.
daver80
Last Name:

Post by daver80 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 am

Just a final note, when I first got the car, back in 2000, I decided to have a "professional" put new front brakes and rotors on.....
the car was new to me and i hadnt gotten used to it. A few years later when i had the front tires off i noticed a bit of rubbing on the one flex line,
turns out this "professional, yes at a garage with a licence" had twisted the caliper relieving the slack off of it and causing it to rub on the wheel with every turn. Once again i realized no one cares about your car like you do, and unless it is something "way over my head" i dont trust anyone with it.

tc Dave
1980 fiat spider
fuel injection
and it's red, go figure
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Post by jseabolt » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:24 am

daver80 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 am
Just a final note, when I first got the car, back in 2000, I decided to have a "professional" put new front brakes and rotors on.....
the car was new to me and i hadnt gotten used to it. A few years later when i had the front tires off i noticed a bit of rubbing on the one flex line,
turns out this "professional, yes at a garage with a licence" had twisted the caliper relieving the slack off of it and causing it to rub on the wheel with every turn. Once again i realized no one cares about your car like you do, and unless it is something "way over my head" i dont trust anyone with it.

tc Dave
I was the same way. My Spider made a mechanic out of me! Years ago before I really got into working on cars, I had a guy install new ball joints and when I went to his shop to see why it was taking him so long to getting around to fixing my car, the car was up on a rack with brake calipers were just hanging off the car! The lazy ass didn't even bother to tie a piece of string around the calipers and secure them to something. I guess it wasn't his car so he didn't care.

One time I tried to get a guy to replace the timing belt and the car just sat there for 1 month, key still under the floor mat. I told him if he didn't have time to work on it, I'd just take it to someone else. So I did.

It's really hard to find good mechanics. Just like finding a good doctor. Dad's been to multiple doctors trying to figure out why his eye hurts and nobody can figure it out! I told him he might have to bit the bullet and go to the Mayo clinic or Vanderbilt university to find a competent doctor.