Back in from the Cold..

A forum for racing topics
ST3Racer
Last Name: McMahan
First Name: Bill

Back in from the Cold..

Post by ST3Racer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:56 am

I hope this post gets some interest going on some history I share with the active posters on the Mirafiori.com Racers Forum. The last time I viewed this forum, it was formatted in a style that was so foreign to me that I never registered, or posted to it. DOS? or something so 1995 it made no sense to me. Now I have the time, and Mirafiori has updated to the 21st century, (how long ago was that?) that I must come in from out in the cold...
I recently reregistered on Fiatspider.com, but found no active responses from current postings. I remember the postings I had made back some 10-15 years ago, and through that site I found that the people I had the most in common with on that site had moved to Mirafiori, and congregate on the Racers Forum. Hence this topic/post. I am now registered as ST3Racer. Some may remember me as EProdRacer. (Jim, Chris, Wayne, Csaba, and others...)
The people that post actively here are the ones I went back and forth with back in the the day some 10 or more so years ago on fiatspider.com, the FLU forum, or the guy croft forum.
A LOT of people followed my builds on macautosport.com (by the hit counts), the site which is now gone. In June of 2016, I sold my speed shop/dyno shop business - MAC Autosport.com, and have since retired - kind of.
I have completed my faithful replica build of a 124 Abarth Stradale (completely DONE) which just completed a 2843 mile trip of Route 66 in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, running out of my home in Denver. I have also done a fresh build of my 2L 8-valve Volumex engine build for my ’69 Spider Racer (currently in NASA ST3), which should be back on track for the 2019 season in Rocky Mountain NASA. The original build was documented on the Guy Croft forum many years back. The race chassis was featured on Firebreathingfiats.com (remember that one?).
I believe that I have much to offer on FIAT TC builds, race chassis construction, and am open to inquiries. Bring it on, if you will. If I can figure out how to post pictures (help, please) on this site, I will do so. I look forward to responses...
Bill McMahan
Denver, Colorado
’69 124 2L 8V Spider Volumex NASA ST3 Racecar
’74 124 Spider Abarth Stradale Replica.
Lots of rare spare parts, FG Molds, etc...
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
'69 124 Spider 2L Volumex NASA ST3 Racecar
'74 124 Abarth Stradale Replica
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Re: Back in from the Cold..

Post by fp55scca » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:49 am

--Bill, welcome back in from the cold! Don't know what I'll do without your website depicting your Abarth replica build. That was my blueprint for my own replica project (years in the making) that I may or may not ever finish. I've collected most all of the bits and pieces, but never seem to find the time to dedicate to the project. Maybe one day when I retire from racing.

--Looking forward to your '69 NASA project! Any build, discussion or race reports would be most appreciated here.

--If no one else pipes up on picture posting, I'll give it go.....pretty straight forward.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
engineerted
Last Name: Ted
First Name: Russell

Post by engineerted » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:58 am

Bill, welcome back!!
I was one of your regular followers on Fiatspder and Firebreathingfiats and still racing my 74 (now in my 10th year) There are still a few of us crazy enough to track these cars and we regularly discuss ideas and issues on this site and welcome any and all information about racing them.
I prefer to use this site over Fiatspider.com as i hate the third party photo posting requirement over there.
It is easy, just pick the attachment tab, "add files" pick the photo from your PC's hard drive, select "place inline" and your done. :D
DSC_0598.JPG
DSC_0598.JPG (99.2 KiB) Viewed 452 times
1978 124 steet car
1974 124 EProd race car
Farmington Hills, MI
mikehynes
Last Name:

Post by mikehynes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Hello Bill,
It's been a very long time but I'm sure you remember racing ITC with your brother Mark at MidOhio and other CenDiv tracks. I was driving my first IT car this '79 X.
EARLY79.GIF
EARLY79.GIF (14.67 KiB) Viewed 446 times
I'm still racing an X, this time a GP car.
P5240002.JPG
P5240002.JPG (127.65 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Two '80 124 Spiders
Lots of X1/9s
Mike Hynes
ST3Racer

Post by ST3Racer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Let's give this a try.....
P6210001.JPG
Volumex engine from 2012
P6210001.JPG (353.95 KiB) Viewed 437 times
This is the almost current configuration of the race engine. Header not shown. Shows the 'suck-thru' 45DCOE - fueled by E85 using 3.10 main jets! Also shows the custom front pulley assembly to drive the blower, and provide the Electromotive Crank-fire ignition, from Miller's Mule (what happened to Jason?). 10.4:1 Venolias, Carrillo H-Beams, HUGE valve head, Bayless A-16 cams (the GCs I own won't work with boost...) - 225WHP on my old Dynojet.

Bill
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
ST3Racer

Post by ST3Racer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Mike! Wow - I remember the great racing in Improved Touring. My brother Mark has since built a Scorpion for FP, but hasn't had it out for a couple years. He works
BILLS4.jpg
BILLS4.jpg (13.1 KiB) Viewed 437 times
with Dave Strittmatter in FP on his Scorpion, which is very competitive. Attached is very old picture of one of the 'Twin' ITC 124s. This one was mine, was sold, and was destroyed in the Carousel at Road America some years back. The engine was put into a Vintage 124 Spider chassis, and continued to run for more years - lost contact a while back with the 2nd owner beyond me. Mark still has the other 'Twin' which hasn't raced in many years. Ah, the good old days. Nice GP X! Keep up the racing!

Bill
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
ST3Racer

Post by ST3Racer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:24 pm

Ted,
Is your #93 an FP, or EP? Is that the one built by Vick? I saw that one at the Runoffs, and at Texas World a number of times, if that is the same car (it ran in FP, I believe). Attached is one of my EP car at Mid-Ohio in 2001 or 2002. I am using that same chassis as my current NASA ST3 car.
E Prod 01.jpg
E Prod 01.jpg (142.59 KiB) Viewed 436 times
Bill
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
ST3Racer

Post by ST3Racer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 pm

Jim,
It CAN be done. It only took me 16 years to completely strip, rebuild, refinish, upholster, and refine my Stradale replica. Attached is a picture from late May 2018 on Route66 in Shamrock TX.
IMG_8076.JPG
IMG_8076.JPG (582.77 KiB) Viewed 432 times
I have many pictures from today, as finished - inside and out - and of the build process. A labor of persistence. I promised my wife, Kris, the RT66 trip about 6 years ago, and finally delivered - whew!
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
mikehynes
Last Name:

Post by mikehynes » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Bill,
Yes, those were the "Good Ol Days". IMHO the racing was more "pure" at that time. I remember folks (like Mark - and others) driving their IT cars to the track (and most of the time driving them home after the races). There's something about doing that that appeals to me. I also remember following you into turn 8 at MidOhio when you had a left front hub break. Ouch!
Mike
Two '80 124 Spiders
Lots of X1/9s
Mike Hynes
ST3Racer

Post by ST3Racer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Mike,
It made me too nervous to continue to drive the racer to the track after about 4-5 races in the beginning, but Mark continued for longer. Its ALL more complex now. I went from a two-wheel dolly, to a 'farm' trailer, to a custom open trailer (still have it), to a 26' enclosed trailer. My first 'puller' was a Mercury Sable (seen one lately?), and currently I pull the big rig with a Chevy 2500 Diesel Van.
I broke front stub axles three times - the one you saw, another at the exit of the Carrousel, in the ITC car. Also one at the end of the back straight in the EP car at the '99 or '00 Runoffs. All at Mid-Ohio! I fixed the problem by having a machined sleeve made to fit where the stub meets the upright - as a reinforcement - carefully TIG'ed in, and now use a larger inner bearing and seal (from a Peugeot or something..). Never a problem since. Good bearing and seal life, and no problems.
If any 124 racer will want to see this modification, I have the front suspension off the chassis for Rack and Pinion conversion, and I can post a picture, if anyone is interested.
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado