Suspension issue and tire rubbing

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Re: Suspension issue and tire rubbing

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Didn't the real Volumex Spiders have a bit of a plastic fender flare all around ? Could that be the missing factor? ou using 15 in Volumex style wheels
Joe DeGasperis
sams
Last Name: Sciancalepore
First Name: Sam

Post by sams » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:20 pm

jfarr wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:39 pm
All four wheels still had the spacers. I removed them and went for a drive. The car still rubs when the suspension comes close to bottoming out. I would say it’s slightly improved (meaning it takes a not significant dip to produce the rub) but it’s still present.

What’s next?
Is it rubbing on both sides?
Sam Sciancalepore
Concord, CA
1981 Fiat Spider (owned since 1996)
jfarr
mille club
Last Name:

Post by jfarr » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:37 pm

sams wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:20 pm
Is it rubbing on both sides?
I don't believe so. I think it *was* rubbing on the outside of the tire when the spacers were installed. I have to check now to see where it rubs now but there seems to be a good deal of space between the back of the tire and the inner fender.
Jody Farr
Worthington, PA
1974 Fiat Spider 1800
2012 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione #13
cjwaters
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cjwaters » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:25 pm

You don't want to rely on shocks or springs to be your suspension limiter - that's what the bump stop is for. Stiffer shocks or springs will increase the load required to get to a specific point in the suspension travel, but you won't cure the inherent problem you're experiencing; it will just happen less often. And you might not like the ride quality...

It is a pain on a 124, but if you pull the front shock and spring you could jack the front suspension through its travel and see what clearances look like under bump, and steering left to right.

Since 124s use shims between the lower control arm and the crossmember to adjust alignment, you could take a look and see if there are a bunch under the front mounting bolt, effectively pushing the wheel toward the rear. You might be able to gain some clearance through changing shims around, but it would have an effect on the caster setting.

One other item to look at (and where new parts could help) is suspension bushings. If they are worn they could be allowing the wheel to travel backward more than usual. My 124 wagon had some extremely worn upper control arm bushings and under braking the control arm would move forward and rub the shock tower, creating a heck of a squeak!

I didn't see it in your posts - what make/size tires are you running?

If everything checks out ok, you can always do a little fender lip massaging...
Courtney Waters
'86 X1/9
'78, '76, and '73 128 Sedans
'74 128 Coupe
'74 124 Sedan
'68 124 Wagon
davedecker4
Last Name: Decker
First Name: Dave

Post by davedecker4 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Is the rub on front or rear wheels? Do you know if its only when turning?
Dave Decker
a 'couple' Fiats and Lancia's
jfarr
mille club
Last Name:

Post by jfarr » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:10 pm

The rub seems to be only the rear wheels. There have been some good suggestions here. I'll get under the car and look for the bump stops. Perhaps they're missing and I didn't notice.
Jody Farr
Worthington, PA
1974 Fiat Spider 1800
2012 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione #13