Sipea ignition switch question

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
spider2081
Last Name: Laborde
First Name: Dave

Re: Sipea ignition switch question

Post by spider2081 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Is it still possible to purchase the Jay switch and if so where?
I would love to see the inside of you Sipea switch. Any chance you could drill out the 3 roll rivets and post photos of the inter switch contacts like you did with the Jay switch?? I am having trouble under standing why Sipea would have common contacts on the switch you have when most of their switches switch int "int" terminals to the "30" terminals. Also why would there be a plunger for those contacts when the plunger is there to open the contacts when the switch is in the off position.
bnam2
Last Name: Nambisan
First Name: Byas

Post by bnam2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Jay switch. I've not found any online source. There's a guy in Bombay who deals in parts and has one (or at least one) in his stock. I bought the Sipea from him. Accepts only Paytm (an Indian wallet) -- which I did not have. Luckily, I had a VW parts guy/friend in Mumbai who was willing to pay cash to this dealer and then ship the part to me as a favor.

You're question about why have the plunger is a good one. To find out I'll have to open the center pin as well to see the plunger tracks.
Byas
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet with 1600twin-cam
!971 VW 1302LS Convertible in original condition
1965 KG - under restoration
spider2081

Post by spider2081 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:58 am

To find out I'll have to open the center pin as well to see the plunger tracks
I don't think you will have to remove the center pin. I am able to open the Sipea switches by drilling the 3 outer roll rivets The center pin only goes through the 1/2 of the assembly that has the grooved disk on it. I place that side down and lift the contact side up and off. That way the plungers stay in place in the lower portion. I have seen a couple Sipea switches where the bakelite actually melts. I'm wondering if that is the case with your switch causing the contacts to be stuck together.

Too bad about the Jay switch availability. I would have liked to be able to purchase some of them.
bnam2
Last Name: Nambisan
First Name: Byas

Post by bnam2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:20 am

When I pushed the plunger down, I could feel the contact open and close on that central plunger. Will post pics once I open it up.

Also, will keep an eye open on Jay switch sources.

Byas
Byas
1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet with 1600twin-cam
!971 VW 1302LS Convertible in original condition
1965 KG - under restoration
spider2081

Post by spider2081 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:49 pm

Thanks although I'm getting pretty old I still like to learn from others.