Paint experts! PPG Pitt-guard

The all purpose conversational forum
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Paint experts! PPG Pitt-guard

Post by jseabolt » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:48 am

Any of you guys ever used this PPG Pitt-Guard paint?

http://www.ppghighperformancecoatings.c ... tings.aspx

The above link may not be the exact same paint I've used. It says semi-gloss. There is also a satin version. It's an industrial paint used to paint stuff like I-beams, hand rails and equipment. It's chemical and heat resistant to 400F.

Reason I ask is when our plant is down sometimes we do allot of painting. I really like this paint.

Unlike paints like Rustoleum, when it dries it's very glossy and slick. It looks like DuPont 2 stage Chromabase. It's an epoxy paint mixed at a 4:1 ratio. And you can use 101 thinner with it.

I've painted some things and it lays down great. There is this one hand rail in a stairwell I'm particularly proud of I painted with a horse hair brush and I can't even see any brush strokes after it dried. I normally mix a bit of 101 thinner with it which I think helps it lay down.

I believe it's because this is a slow drying paint which gives it time for any brush strokes to lay down. I got to wondering what would it look like if I shot this paint through a spray gun?

The downside is it takes the paint a few hours to dry and a couple of months before it's cured out. So this is not the type of paint a "professional autobody" shop (Like MAACO!) would use to get the car prepped and painted with a couple of hours, tape removed and out the door ready for the next car. But as a hobbyist, I could afford to let the car sit there for a few days before I started pulling tape off and touching it.

This paint is not exactly cheap. It's about $80 to $100 a gallon not including the hardener and 101 thinner.

Now here is the question. Some of my co-workers do not need to be painting! I'm not a professional painter but I have painted mulitple things in my life and two cars.

I've seen where some of my co-workers don't take this serious and just guess at the ratio and run with it. Someone painted a handrail and did not use any hardener at all! This paint job stayed tacky for about a month. When it finally did dry there is no gloss to it and it's rough as a cob.

The thing I'm trying to figure out is, would this paint be suitable for a car as far as fading is concerned? It looks great but I've noticed some of the stuff that has been painted has faded over time like within a couple of years. Some of the handrails inside a stairwell are slightly faded being exposed to florescent lighting 24/7/365 for 25 years. They also use allot of those sodium light bulbs but are trying to transition to LED light bulbs.

Some paint jobs outside appear worse than others as far as painting is concerned. inside there is this one hand railing on a platform around a column I know had to be painted 25 years ago and it's still glossy. I'm not sure if it's the same PPG paint but I believe it's the original paint.

I painted this one platform in the tank farm two years ago and inspect it regularly. I mixed this paint and hardener to an exact 4:1 ratio and it still looks OK.

I'm trying to figure out if some of these paint jobs that have faded quicker than others is from not using the correct amount of hardener or some other reason.

If I were to paint a car with this stuff and the car was not exposed to florescent or sunlight 24/7/365, would it hold it's gloss? Would waxing the car with some sort of protectant that has a UV inhibitor help protect the paint from fading? Or add a UV inhibitor to the paint itself.

When I bought my Spider 26 years ago, I absolutely hated the color. The car came from the factory as silver but someone had it repainted what I called it "piss yellow". But I think it was an actual Fiat color used back in the early 1970s. The actual name I think is Sun yellow.

Anyway the problem with this paint was it was bad about dirt embedding into the paint and would tend to chalk up over time and required constant waxing. Eventually it got to the paint I couldn't even buff it so I finally had it repainted with DuPont Chromabase. This paint has held up great for the past 20 years. But I keep this car out of the weather when not in use so in reality, it's as if the car has sat outside in the weather maybe a total of 2 years.

I'm planning on spraying one of those lawn trailers with this paint and see what kind of results I get. Keep the trailer waxed and outside in the weather to see how well it holds up.

Any thoughts?
AZRuss124
Last Name: Wakefield
First Name: Russ

Re: Paint experts! PPG Pitt-guard

Post by AZRuss124 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Paints that take that long to dry will sag on vertical surfaces. For a proper auto finish, the subsurface (primer) needs to be sanded with 400 grit or finer. Most industrial preps never get sanded to this fine of a grit. The paint would be unsuitable in a metallic. Automotive paints are big business and the companies that make these paints put a lot of time and money into product development and testing. Why risk using an untested paint when the real deal is available and not much more expensive than what you pay for an industrial epoxy.
There is a much different expectation of gloss on a large automotive surface than a hand railing. Painting through a gun requires the right viscosity to atomize correctly. With industrial paints, the solids aren't refined to the level of automotive paints, so they spray on differently. Before I would go to the work of prepping a complete car, find an old fender or hood and do a test spray. Make sure it has a vertical surface on the test piece.
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Post by jseabolt » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Not to get off the subject but I sent you a PM the other day regarding propane question and the email listed on here bounced.
AZRuss124
Last Name: Wakefield
First Name: Russ

Post by AZRuss124 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:04 am

When Mirafiori was revamped, they lost my old contact info, so I had to sign up as a new user. I just went thru my profile and saw no place to add an email address. The email hasn't changed, just the link. I'll send you a PM
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Profile - edit profile - edit account settings - change email address
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9