Engine Shield

The all purpose conversational forum
beek
Last Name: Beeken
First Name: Randy

Re: Engine Shield

Post by beek » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:23 pm

at one time i did. I used to have a fiat/ lancia junkyard. parted out 1000's of them. all gone now... sorry. I did not have the forsite to keep all of those parts through the lean years.
2018 Abarth Spider, Daily
2016 500X wifes daily
2014 500L daughters daily
1982 Zagato (+2 parts cars)
1978 Spider Sons daily
1975 Spider Restored
(5) 1976 Lancia Scorpions, 3 that are being worked on to drive
(5) spider parts cars.
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Post by jseabolt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:23 pm

I don't know if we are talking about the same piece of metal but when I mounted my AC condenser on my 1980 Spider, there is a piece of sheet metal that runs in front of the radiator. I had to cut it off. It doesn't seem to provide any support. I'm not sure what it's purpose is.

It's been so long I can't even remember what it looked like or where it was located!

PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:56 am

I guess i have little girl hands because I remove and insert the oil filter by hand without removing the belly pan. I prefer cleaning up some oil to removing the pan. Removed it the first time i changed her oil, but never again since.
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Oddly enough after noting I had never seen such a pan, I buy a 75 spider that...has one installed. This is my 2019 project so it's just sitting parked till January, hey you have to buy these projects when they come available.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:22 pm

PhillySpider wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:56 am
I guess i have little girl hands because I remove and insert the oil filter by hand without removing the belly pan. I prefer cleaning up some oil to removing the pan. Removed it the first time i changed her oil, but never again since.
At least you left it on. "Too lazy to do it right" - this is the procedure most FIAT mechanics took. A lack of bothering to follow the proper procedure in this and numerous other areas led the cars to being less reliable. Belly pans, engine shields, or whatever people might call them, improved the efficiency of the cooling system and protected the motor from debris. A typical service experience for a FIAT would involve removing most of the pans and shields, setting the carburetor or fuel injection system incorrectly, and using the wrong type of fluids. This was followed by the car malfunctioning and some idiot saying "fix it again, Tony."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1982 Spider 2000
I've restored, worked on, sold, bartered, and bled for:
1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 124 Spiders -- 1969, 1970 850 Spiders -- 77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:44 am

I removed the engine shields on my 850 coupe and discovered years later that I was seriously screwing up the cooling system due to flow of air into and out the radiator, I was allowing hot air that just passed through the radiator to get sucked right back into the "cold" side of the rad.

When I start working on the 75 it will be interesting to see how many bolts I snap off getting the shield off.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
Funcar
Last Name: Tschirhart
First Name: Glen

Post by Funcar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:25 am

This is a picture of my engine shield/belly pan installed. After removing it ( you may recall it was spot welded) I I used a pneumatic press to straighten it out along with other metal bending tools hammers and dollies. Then painted it with some tremclad I had and final spraying it with rocker panel guard. It had been held on by 4 bolts and the 4 screws you can see at the bottom of the picture. Normally there are 11 bolts . You can see how the PO modified the pan so that you could change the oil filter without removing the shield. There has to be a better way to modify..perhaps a removable plate?

On my car 3 bolts had been snapped off and 5 missing. I was only successful in removing 1 broken bolt. I bought new bolts and found that 3 of the holes didn't have any threads. The bolts go into the frame so I suspect there is a threaded sleeve or nut welded on the other side of the frame that had been torn out or damaged so I can't screw a bolt in. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? Tip use anti seize if you plan to keep the shield intact so you can easily remove it.

Glen Tschirhart
Kitchener Ontario Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124
San Jose Steve
Last Name:

Post by San Jose Steve » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:27 am

My car had it's original, unmolested pan on it when I bought the car. Later when I added an oil cooler, the sandwich adapter made the oil filter hang about 3/4" too low and kept the pan from fitting correctly.

I cut a circle of metal out of the pan just larger than the diameter of the filter so the top of the filter would protrude about 3/4" through the hole. Then I placed a thick square of rubber sheet on the pan and used 4 pop rivets to cover the hole. With the pan installed, the filter "bulges" through the rubber sheet a bit. (looks like more of a mound in the rubber.)

I can drill out 3 of the 4 rivets, and spin the rubber sheet out of the way and remove the filter. Re-install, spin the rubber sheet back into position and then put 3 new pop rivets in to secure it. Cut my finger really good one time though. Have since put some effort to round off the sharp edge of the hole! Ha ! -Steve
zonker
Last Name: Green
First Name: Robert

Post by zonker » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:09 am

Good to know that they actually had a belly pan - I thought they didn't and was planning on making one myself out of plastic similar to what you see on newer cars. Now I might just see if I can locate a nice original instead.
1971 124 Spider(s) 1608
2017 124 Spider Classica
2013 500e
1978 X1/9
1974 X1/9