Anone in the MD / DC area know this car?

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
sams
Last Name: Sciancalepore
First Name: Sam

Anone in the MD / DC area know this car?

Post by sams » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:32 am

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/ca ... 69117.html

My first car was a '73 124 Coupe, in this color no less. I've been looking for another on and off for years, but haven't found the right one that's worth sinking $$$$$ and time into. This one probably isn't it either, but is nevertheless intriguing.

Does anyone know this car and/or seller? Coupe price comps are hard to come by as they trade so infrequently, but based on the euro-spec '73 that sold on BAT recently this one is definitely fully priced.
Sam Sciancalepore
Concord, CA
1981 Fiat Spider (owned since 1996)
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Re: Anone in the MD / DC area know this car?

Post by friedman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:49 am

I have seen this coupe at several Fiat events. John Erskine or Chris Fumigalli probably know more about it.
Carl in Virginia
80 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:30 pm

I believe that is Mike Difranco's car. Note the DCFiats license plate frame. He's a professional mechanic and long time Fiat owner who did the restoration on Chris Fumagalli's 1969 coupe. Don't know the car but he has a good reputation as a foreign car mechanic. Had a shop with his brother specializing in BMWs and other high end hardware for many years in Bethesda. His current shop, BCC Automotive is near Mount Airy. Here's the link:http://bccautomotive.com/
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
fumi
Last Name:

Post by fumi » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:14 am

Original owner was a couple from Washington, DC. I believe Estonia? Lady drove the car for a few years until 1980 "ish" from DC to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in Gaithersburg, MD. The head gasket blew and the couple parked the Coupe in their garage in DC for 3 decades. I believe around 8-10 years ago the owner sent DC Fiats an email offering the car for sale. Mike and I drove to DC to look at it and Mike purchased the car on the spot. Car is an original survivor. The paint on the top of the car is original. I believe Mike had the sides touched up due to some scrapes and bruises from three decades of storage but you'll have to verify that with him. I know Mike also did whatever mechanical work the car needed to put it back on the road.

Car looks great. As you can see in the pictures, the seats need to be stitched up again. No rust issues. Has nice exhaust and wide steel wheels. Mike owns a well-regarded automotive repair shop so I'm sure if you contact him he'll be more than happy to put the car on his lift and take all the pictures you want. Mike is a Fiat enthusiast and has been around Fiats all of his life.
Chris F
'69 124 AC Coupe
'73 124 Special TC
fumi
Last Name:

Post by fumi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:36 pm

It's now on Ebay.

Item: 263986998276
Chris F
'69 124 AC Coupe
'73 124 Special TC
sams
Last Name: Sciancalepore
First Name: Sam

Post by sams » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:43 pm

Thanks Chris. As I mentioned earlier to Richard via email and have posted here before, my 124 Coupe was bought by my dad new back in '73, and my avatar is a picture of me and the car when it was almost brand new.

If my dad was still alive it would be a kick to show up in this, but he's not and beige was never my favorite color. My dad loved it, but then I didn't realize until many years later that he was pretty much color blind. My friends in high school were aghast when I had it repainted the same color, but even then I knew a cheap color change would look cheap.

Having said that, a proper color change would be the first order of business, and when you add all the other things that I would want to do (and in some cases need to do, after all it's a 40+ year old Fiat) I would easily be looking at $20k+, assuming the seller is somewhat flexible on the price. I would absolutely love to fly out with my youngest son and drive it back across the country, but I don't think this one's in the cards. If it was any other color I'd be tempted to damn the torpedoes and go for it.

It will be interesting to see how high it gets bid to, particularly compared to this nice '72 that sold at auction earlier this year: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24810/lot/102/
Sam Sciancalepore
Concord, CA
1981 Fiat Spider (owned since 1996)