For Sale: 1977 124 Spider

FIAT cars and parts for sale (or trade)
bgratton
Last Name: Gratton
First Name: Brenda

For Sale: 1977 124 Spider

Post by bgratton » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Here is a link to my Craigs list ad for my Spider. I bought it 4 years ago and have loved having it. It has run great for me and has had regular oil changes and I just put in a new battery. I've done a lot of work on the interior; new carpet, door panels and center console.
It is located in Madison, WI.

https://madison.craigslist.org/cto/d/fi ... 49476.html

Please email or PM me if you are interested or have questions.

Thanks,
Brenda
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Re: For Sale: 1977 124 Spider

Post by fp55scca » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:28 pm

--Hi Brenda. Welcome to Mirafiori. Looks like you have a nice car! It does appear to have some modifications to it.

--I'm not sure if you are aware of the modifications, but the car is sporting an early (1968-1972) hood (very nice). Looks like the wheels are from an '85 Spider, the tail light assemblies from '79-85 Spider. The steering wheel is also from a post-'79 Spider, and the dash board and radio console have been modified. All very tasteful, and it makes an interesting car.

--A photo of the engine compartment would be helpful to possibly see what modifications might have been made there?
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
bgratton

Post by bgratton » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:22 am

Hi,

Yes I was aware there were changes made. I knew the hood was a 1968, and the wheels, but wasn't sure of any other specifics. Good idea about the engine. I'll add that today.

Thanks,
Brenda
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:05 am

--Brenda, a pic of the engine compartment would be great!

--If you look at the underside of the hood, you can confirm if it is actually a '68 hood, or at least a '68-'70 hood. Not a big deal at all, but it distinguishes the rare from the "unobtainium"! (lol) The pre-'71 hoods did not have a "relief" in the in the under-pinning of the hood for the cam-mounted distributor; the 1438cc distributors were block mounted.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
bgratton

Post by bgratton » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:35 pm

I have updated the Craigslist ad with pictures of the engine and the underside of the hood.

Please let me know if there is interest.
Thanks.
fiatrn
Last Name: FiatRN
First Name: the

Post by fiatrn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:24 am

Brenda,
NIce car, and a nice price is the car is as rust free as it appears. To me, this car is a mystery - but nothing bad - , and has some good selling points:

1 - I would mention the 85.5 wheels ( as they are 'rare' and allow the use of different brake calipers, plus they look cool!)

2 - it looks like the car has an electronic ignition conversion - always a good thing

3 - previously mentioned flat hood, which I think are the prettiest hoods

4 - redone wood on the dash (though I note that it is not stock)

5 - late model leather wrapped steering wheel (and aftermarket shift knob)

6 - different cam towers, which removes the airpump mounting block

The Odd:

CS1 designation, 1977 listed, but the battery is in the front? I thought batteries went to the rear in 1974... And the big tail lights confuse me - I can't remember if they eaily swap into the early cars or if that requires modification? Funky switches on dash center console, odd plumbing of radiator overflow - which obviously works fine bc you've been driving it.

A bit of a puzzle but a nice looking, super well priced car.
bgratton

Post by bgratton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:58 pm

I knew it was a puzzle, but I had no idea how much of one! The person I bought it from was a mechanic in the Air Force and knew what was what. I, unfortunately, don't have that knack.

As for rust, the car looks really good. I can tell you that in doing the interior, there was only one spot of rust about a dime size hole, that has been neutralized.

It has definitely been a learning experience! Sorry to let it go but it's time to move on to something knew.
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:17 pm

--Thanks Brenda, the pics of the engine compartment really help, but raise a few questions as well. Please don't take any of this as criticism. We are crazy enthusiasts here, and would like to see this Spider go to a good home. I think the correct background would be helpful in making the sale:
---The hood is a '71-72, based on the relief under the hood (on the passenger) side for the cam mounted distributor. A very nice piece!

---The battery was definitely moved to the trunk in '74. The shelf for the battery was simply cut-off in the engine compartment for '74-78. It wouldn't be hard to fabricate the shelf to put it back in the engine compartment. This should be evident if it were done. It would also be interesting to peak in the trunk to see if there are still provisions for the battery there?

---'77 Tail lights would be a bit complex to post-date to the '79-85 style. This would entail welding in the openings for the original '72-78 style lights, and then re-cutting for the later style. They don't share any common openings. I have seen a few '78 model Spiders with the later tail lights, but they also always had the later style door handles, because they were effectively CS2 bodies. This Spider has the early door handles.

---Brenda, there are enough anomalies here that it would be worth a look at the VIN number stamped on the firewall. Just behind the distributor, on the exhaust cam, you will see an aluminum tag attached to the firewall on the passenger side. Just above this tag, on the horizontal surface of the firewall, the VIN number of this vehicle should be stamped into the metal. You may have to wipe the surface clean to see it, but it looks pretty clean already. The number should begin "124 CS....." and should include at least 7 more digits. These numbers are difficult to change, so this should identify the year of your vehicle with some certainty. Thanks for your patience.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
bgratton

Post by bgratton » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Hi,

I don't take any of it as criticism. I bought this car with the recommendation of a friend who has owned and worked on Fiats. I knew the previous owner had worked on the car (both the body and the engine) quite a bit and fashioned it the way he wanted it. I have a whole bunch of extra parts from which I imagine he could draw to fix his and other cars. I thought it was beautiful and fun and my chance to own a classic Italian car! To me, none of the changes take away from that. In fact I probably wouldn't have bought it with the proper hood on it. My interests are in the aesthetic (lines and design), and the history.

Here is the VIN number that I have listed on Craigs list: 124CS10117204. I searched online after I bought the car, it seemed to be accurately dated to 1977. The car also didn't used to be red. I think it may have been blue. It also has a very upgraded stereo system that I don't really care for but some would appreciate. And I perhaps should add another picture, the back seat is no longer there. He created a carpeted bench that lifts up, under which some of the stereo components are stored.

Brenda
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:06 am

--Brenda, I think the carpeted storage space in the rear seat area is a plus. These back seats were just token, and really only suitable for kids.

--The VIN # that you posted would be a '77 Spider alright. The only question would be did you take this number from the title, the VIN plate in the windshield, the driver's door plate; or, the stamped VIN # on the firewall? The most reliable is the stamped # on the firewall.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider