1.8 connecting rods for Vintage build

A forum for racing topics
ST3Racer
Last Name: McMahan
First Name: Bill

1.8 connecting rods for Vintage build

Post by ST3Racer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:13 pm

I am rebuilding my NASA ST3 124 Spider racer for Vintage. SVRA Group 3, DP, to be precise. This requires me to sell the 2 liter shortblock (anyone interested?), and build an 1800. I will need RODS, which is why i have started this thread, so help out racers....
The current chassis has the Baucom body kit, and has been raced since 1969, and while solid, it has taken it's share of knocks over the years. Done with it. Anyone interested in the FG kit? I will harvest it from the chassis before scrapping.
To do the build, I am searching for a suitable '70 thru '78 solid body shell, into which I will transfer most of the ST3 goodies, including the cage, suspension, fuel cell, fire system, etc. Sadly, what I will leave out is the Volumex blower, the Wilwood stoppers, and my plans for rack and pinion steering. I have a source for three chassis that I will be seeing soon. New meaning for "bring a trailer".
I DO have a late USA Lancia 828AB shortblock to start the engine build. This is the later 1756 with the large flywheel fasteners, and larger crank nose. As most Vintage groups allow backdating, and concern themselves with the displacement, this shorty is a go for this build. I have used Carrillo rods in the past, but the current pricing is bats%*t crazy, so I am looking for a lesser cost alternative, say, up to a $grand.
Any Ideas?
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
'69 124 Spider 2L Volumex NASA ST3 Racecar
'74 124 Abarth Stradale Replica
engineerted
Last Name: Ted
First Name: Russell

Re: 1.8 connecting rods for Vintage build

Post by engineerted » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:38 pm

Bill, Pauter makes 1.8l rods for fiat/Lancia, price looks to be under $1k, How is the FG kit held on? And how would you ship it?

http://pauter.com/shop/rods/fiat-lancia ... 1-8l-rods/

Ted
1978 124 steet car
1974 124 EProd race car
Farmington Hills, MI
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:29 am

I am using Pauter rods in my 124 1.8 race motor ….think when I bought them in 2006 they were under a grand …
Joe DeGasperis
chrisrupnik
Last Name:

Post by chrisrupnik » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:11 am

Well shucks! I just came back from Colorado Springs - wish i had checked this board before i left.
I'll PM you for the block - we always need blocks.
ST3Racer
Last Name: McMahan
First Name: Bill

Post by ST3Racer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:52 pm

Guys,
Thank you for the replies. I am contacting both Cunningham, and Pauter for rods for my 1.8 Vintage build.

Ted,
The Baucom/Japco body kit attaches by large head pop rivets, using FG reinforced body filler on the corners to adhere and blend the corners front and rear. The steel body is cut away back to a narrow flange to attach the panels. It is very Aero Slick. I modified the front valance panel so it is easily removable for trailer loading - 2 minutes on and off. I have the four fenders, two hoods(the fast cars need extra hoods, the slow ones need extra taillights...), and the front panel. I will keep the trunk lid for my Vintage build.
I constructed 'small bump' FG hood molds, as well as a mold for the trunk lids. These molds are now for sale as well, as I have the panels I need going forward. Both the hood and trunk are used on my Stradale replica, and on other cars in Vintage in TX. The best and cheapest way to send these items is by Airline. I will need to box them up and take them to the airport, and the receiver will have to pick them up at the airport near them. Not a well known way to ship, but fast (4 hours!) and cheap. PM me and we can talk about his.

Chris,
The 2L is newly fresh, a .5mm over, with Venoila 10.4:1, Total Seal rings, Carrillos, specially built by me for the Volumex in competition. With a huge valve head, it dynoed 225WHP (approx 265 crank HP), running E85. That was documented on the Croft Forum a while back. I may want to keep this shorty for using the Volumex in my Stradale in the future. Offers?
The race engine will get 13:1 Venolias, the rods I choose, and very wild cams. I have a Serra set, an F2 PBS intake, some Bredas, a Croft 4A set, and numerous Delta regrinds to choose from for cams. I also race-build Weber IDFs in all sizes, and have a number of Waffle manifolds. I build the big pipe headers, as well.
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
'69 124 Spider 2L Volumex NASA ST3 Racecar
'74 124 Abarth Stradale Replica
fiatfactory
Last Name: Cecchele
First Name: Steve

Post by fiatfactory » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:03 pm

Using some late type "bolt only" style conrods from a later iteration of the 8valve twin cams is usually the best budget option available... but these are mostly and easily available in the 2000 rod length (145mm) but if your building custom pistons then a pretty sensible approach would be 2 litre rods in an 1800 and design the pistons with a lower compression height to suit, improves the rod ratio, drops weight from the piston (usually) and gives you the cheaper option of factory forged bolt only rods, which for BTW, quality ARP fasteners are readily available.

A worthwhile modification you can do while your prepping rods is to have the big end journal resized (it's a couple of thou increase) and have the tang groove recut to allow the use of (small journal) SBC big end bearings....this opens up a HOST of possibilities for bearing sizing and materials...it does mean having to modify the bearing shells a little (putting a chamfer on both sides as the V8 runs the bearings paired and they are only chamfered on one side) but this is a well known modification for turbo charged and supercharged Fiat dohc engines.

SteveC