Cheap spider in Virgnia

FIAT cars and parts for sale (or trade)
davedecker4
Last Name: Decker
First Name: Dave

Re: Cheap spider in Virgnia

Post by davedecker4 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:33 am

Dude, its a cheap Spyder! Make it run, clean it up, patch the hole in the floor, and drive the heck out of it. Should be fun for quite while.
Have we all got so jaded, that if it ain't perfect, it ain't worth trying? Can you imagine finding this for equivalent money when you were a teenager?
You don't even find so many out here on the west coast anymore. Somebody must have a mig, and somebody must know a kid who can make enough over the holiday break to swing this.
Light the spark.
then let them enjoy the ride
Dave Decker
a 'couple' Fiats and Lancia's
mikehynes
Last Name:

Post by mikehynes » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:04 am

Somehow it's the cheap cars that sometimes cost the most. In time, money, frustration, etc.
It's easy to look at a car like this and see fun drives though the countryside, top down, blue skies, wind in the hair. But getting to there from where this car is now might not be a trip down primrose lane.
First question, why was the car parked?
Second question, what is wrong with the car that isn't evedent in the pics, or discription? Rust? Cross member? Starter? Head gasket? Etc, etc?
There are plenty of alternatives available, what does this car offer that the alternatives don't? (Key question)
Do you have a clean fuel tank waiting for a new home?
Like rebuilding brake systems?
Do you have an interior taking up storage space?
Do you have a bay in your workspace that is getting cobwebs - for the next year or so?
Are you getting bored playing solitaire all day and night.
Don't already have a Spider but want one, bad?
Have plenty of parking places?
Just got a big bonus check that's burning a hole in your pocket?
Is emotion driving the purchase decision?

OK, sorry for being so harsh. I'm sure that I wouldn't be alone in admitting to dragging a project like this home from time to time. BTDT. Might do it again sometime? But those experiences have thought me to try and be a little more realistic about project car purchases. If you have a desire to take on a project, this car might be the car - for the right price.

It's out there, who's going to go snap it up before it's gone? Think it'll last though the weekend?
Two '80 124 Spiders
Lots of X1/9s
Mike Hynes
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 am

I, like everyone else here look at Fiats on Craigslist all the time. Most dreamers think their spiders in running condition are worth $5,000 and more regardless of condition and cars specifically listed as parts cars go for $2,000 or more, and these are east coast cars with guaranteed rust somewhere. To my knowledge, there are only two guys in the Washington metro area who have absolutely no problem with towing home a sad, non-running Fiat with good bones, and I'm one of them.

This is exactly the condition of the 75 spider I bought from this guy a few months ago. No rust in the shock tower, and no rust in the rear arches, floors appear rust free, 2L conversion with 34ADF, headers and Plex ignition, non ripped seats. It will still take me a year to get it into nice condition but that's my hobby. I don't "flip" cars in the common meaning, I restore them, enjoy them for awhile and move on...although I don't think my kids are going to let me sell this one.

There is just not a large market for Fiats that need major work and I bet most end up going to the crusher. I don't know how this guy ended up with three spiders when he is admittedly not a Fiat guy and I think he realizes he made a mistake. You could even consider this a parts car if the price got cheap enough. Sadly, this car is pretty much in my back yard and I may go look at it today just to pass on my views on it.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9
cgranju
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:59 am

It Really looks great to me in the contacts of today’s I l-want-to-make-BAT market. This is the kind of spider 2000 that I have owned so many of that I have lost count, still have the titles & some VIN plates are a lot of them. Now I have all the spare pieces as mentioned above that could make this car quite enjoyable and fully functional. One of the things that I’ve always liked about our group of enthusiasts is that there are people who can see the enjoyment in rescuing this one having some fun without the need to be able to buy a boat with the profits.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:34 pm

I went and looked at this car. If you want my personal views on it, private message or email me.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
86 Bertone
77 X1/9