The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
whitehause
Last Name: White
First Name: Tim

Re: Follow along as I build a 79 Spider

Post by whitehause » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:57 pm

fp55scca wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 am
--Good work Tim! Looks like you got the job accomplished with careful patience and determination! Be sure the crank receives a thorough cleaning before plugging again.

--After doing one of these, I've since left this job to a machinist, for several reasons. First, the old welch plugs are removed, then the crank is soaked to loosen the crud in the interior reaches of the journals. Then then the journals are probed to loosen the crud, and rinsed, and then tapped. After tapping, the crank is hot-washed again, and rinsed, and then plugs inserted. Always use Loctite, and always stake the plugs.
No....it was lots of swearing and the will to give up :D

Yeah, if I was doing these on a regular basis, to the machine shop it would go. Since the crank is in perfect shape (surprisingly) I figured I'd give it a go. I know now why it's in such good shape, those babies are tough!
As far as cleaning, I have time and patience for that. I have a parts washer with a submersible tube heating element if I need to got it hot. Call me crazy but I actually like cleaning parts. Kind of a challenge I guess to see how shiny I can get an old crusty part. My garage has as much cleaning equipment in it as wrenching equipment. Parts washer, bead blaster, soda blaster, buffers, brushes, solvents. I actually build my motors inside in my bar room. No chance of unwanted condensation from temp changes in the garage, great lighting, and well, it's a bar room....lol
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:32 pm

cstorry wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:06 pm
Any thoughts on converting to 12x1.5 studs while you are at it ?

I'm into rallying and we're often in a hurry when changing wheels and I'm told that the M12x1.25 fine thread is easier to cross-thread than M12x1.5 so lots of teams use the studs with M12x1.25 screwed into the hub and M12x1.5 and appropriate nuts on the other end.

Maybe not applicable here ...

Waiting on brake upgrade for my integrale then will look to upgrade from wheel bolts to studs of one form or other

Chuck

I have no practical experience with this, but it seem to make complete sense to me that the coarser threads would be easier to thread accurately in a hurry. Maybe others can chime in on the torque aspect of this since coarser threads will tend to loosen easier than fine, but if you use separate nuts on each change that are set up with some loc tite ,(the solid stick type they sell )already applied to the new nuts, then I would think that would help overcome any loosening issues.
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:41 pm

cstorry wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:06 pm
Any thoughts on converting to 12x1.5 studs while you are at it ?

I'm into rallying and we're often in a hurry when changing wheels and I'm told that the M12x1.25 fine thread is easier to cross-thread than M12x1.5 so lots of teams use the studs with M12x1.25 screwed into the hub and M12x1.5 and appropriate nuts on the other end.
------------------------------------------------------------
--Chuck, that would sure be an option. I considered it years ago because there are so many more lug nut options available in 1.5; but ultimately stayed with the 1.25. Never really had a cross-thread problem, but I start all lug-nuts by hand, and use low torque setting on fun, then final torque by torque wrench.

--Unless we've really screwed something up, we never go "pit-stop" fast in SCCA road racing. Sometimes sit on 4 jackstands (with rain pending) awaiting final decision on tire selection.....that's about as fast as it goes.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Happiness is a floor full of new parts. First shipment is in. And no the nitrous isn't for the Fiat.....maybe :o
The 2 long boxes are the cams, wasn't going to take them out for a picture though.
Attachments
parts1.jpg
parts1.jpg (102.64 KiB) Viewed 70 times
whitehause

Post by whitehause » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 pm

Finally got my plugs, had to order them since no one had 7/16 x 14 in stock. Nice fit with room to stake them in place. BTW, if anyone is planning to do this let me know. I had to order 10 plugs, but only needed 4.
Attachments
crank plugs.jpg
crank plugs.jpg (82.49 KiB) Viewed 21 times