Relay wiring madness

The all purpose conversational forum
kgfiske
Last Name: Fiske
First Name: Kelly

Re: Relay wiring madness

Post by kgfiske » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:57 am

I would recommend 3M brand 33+ or 88 tape. Years ago I worked at an underground coal mine and the 33+ was the go to tape. If it can hold up in the salt water underground, it'll do great under the hood.
Kelly Fiske
Akron, OH
78 Spider
82 Spider Turbo
bartigue
seimila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:12 pm

FIAT used good old electrical tape. It is the easiest to use and looks right, though I'd splurge for the professional stuff that is matte and a little thicker. $5 instead of $1.99. I love heat shrink if you can get it to fit over the connectors.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1969, 1969, 1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1982 124 Spiders
1969, 1970 850 Spiders
77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Post by jseabolt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:17 am

Yeah, Fiat just moved these from the engine compartment to under the dash on 79+ models. Not an issue until you add A/C to the car.

When I did the A/C installation, I had to do something with these things because the tray interfered with the evaporator unit. I ended up pulling the connectors off the mounting tray, zip tied them together and them shoved them up back up underneath the dash. Along with the intermittent wiper delay module which is now in the very corner of the dashboard.

The biggest wiring mess I ever cleaned up was behind the radio. There must be enough wire to wrap around the car twice related to the power windows (which mine does not have). It was a struggle to install a modern radio due to all this unused/obsolete spaghetti wiring mess. Well when I say "modern", I mean modern at one time when radios had cassette and CD players. All my newer stereos do not have CD players and use SD/USB cards and are half as thick and are about the same size as the one from the 1970s which just had AM/FM.

I kept getting tired of the courtesy light, cigarette lighter and hazard flasher button coming unplugged when I'd force the radio into the console.

This also freed up two unused fuses in the fuse box. Now the leftmost fuse is for the fuel pump, rather than that Bakelite fuse holder shoved up underneath the dash that melted on me.

The wiring is long enough to reach the leftmost fuse holder. Just unplug the wires going to the inline fuse and connect them to the leftmost fuse holder. And unplug the other wires going to it since they are not used.
cjwaters
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cjwaters » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 pm

friedman wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:09 pm
What tape should I use when wire removal is done? I think in the cabin I'll just use zip ties to provide access to the harness but I'd like to cover the part of the harness in the engine bay.
TESA makes a variety of automotive harness tapes. Some of the fuzzy german car type stuff for low noise interior applications and others that are intended for engine bay or even engine harness use (meaning it wont get all gooey the first day of Spring). I used the fuzzy stuff on my Rally for the auxiliary gauge sub-harness. They have data sheets for the different tapes, should you care to explore the different options. I'll have to look back where I sourced it but I recall there being a bunch on eBay. It's not $0.99 for a 10 pack at Horrible Freight so it may not be for everyone, but for those who don't like black sticky fingers it is worth it :D
I like the 3M tapes mentioned above as well.
Courtney Waters
'86 X1/9
'78, '76, and '73 128 Sedans
'74 128 Coupe
'74 124 Sedan
'68 124 Wagon
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:30 am

Thanks guys. The wires are removed and I can start rebundling the remains. Out of eight relays under the hood, I removed seven. The only relay left is for the horn.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone