New to forums

The all purpose conversational forum
gbsailing41
Last Name: Belcher
First Name: Geo

New to forums

Post by gbsailing41 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:49 pm

I am new to using forums so bare with me. I worked on a friends Spider in the 70's and now purchased one myself to replace a Harley. It is a 1978 Spider with 91K miles no rust original owner sitting in his shed for the last 16 years in Calif. It needs work as expected but nothing I can't do myself (30 years heavy equipment and marine diesel mechanic).

My first question is has anyone had any experience with the Snugtop Custom Hardtop made in Calif on these cars? its the square looking one with the 3 windows I ran across one when I got this car for $150. I am looking to see what seal they used around the bottom and what the rear hold downs look like. If you have any pictures I would appreciate seeing them.

I found this site and glad to see it is a treasure hold of information which I am going to use. I hope to get all the help that is out there to finish this project car.
bartigue
cinquemila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Re: New to forums

Post by bartigue » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:59 pm

Welcome aboard!

I do not own one of those tops but some of the members do. I'm sure you'll hear from them shortly. We have some great technical resources here, the library will have just about everything you'll ever want in terms of documentation for the car. The collective of people here have worked on probably every FIAT ever built during the classic age; i.e. you're in good hands.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1969, 1969, 1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1982 124 Spiders
1969, 1970 850 Spiders
77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
davedecker4
Last Name: Decker
First Name: Dave

Post by davedecker4 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:51 pm

Welcome!
I'm not certain but I think they used those 2 chrome hooks on the rear deck that are used for the boot cover.
You should be able to get a replacement seal from usual vendors; Auto Ricambi in Texas, C. Obert in California, or Midwest Bayless in Ohio. There's others but those are the big ones. You could always check with SnugTop too I guess.
Good luck
Dave Decker
a 'couple' Fiats and Lancia's
gbsailing41

Post by gbsailing41 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:46 am

Yes I have contacted Snugtop they no longer have any information on these tops and only build for pickups. I have been looking at the other suppliers and found some for the Pininfarina tops. The back hold downs that are on the top I have are on the side an angle brace with a hole. There is no sign of ever having any bracket on the back to match the top cover brackets. The bottom does not show any sign of seal ever being glued there. That is why I was looking for any pictures that might give a clue to how it was originally installed. I can fabricate jus about any bracket but a pic would make it easer. Thanks for helping hopefully some one might have one of these to look at. I don't know how many were sold but mine has a serial number of 19809 so I was hoping some others might be out there.

thanks again
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:34 pm

gbsailing41 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:49 pm
--My first question is has anyone had any experience with the Snugtop Custom Hardtop made in Calif on these cars?

--I am looking to see what seal they used around the bottom and what the rear hold downs look like. If you have any pictures I would appreciate seeing them.
---------------------------------------
--Welcome to Mirafiori! I don't have this SnugTop (I have a Pininfarina one) , but I have a friend who still has one at his shop I believe.

--Try this link to fiatspider.com. Looks like they had a thread on this topic which should help.

--A couple of observations: (1) The bottom seal from Fiat vendors would likely be for a Pininfarina hardtop, very expensive, and I don't think it would fit anyway. See the post at the link below for a solution .

(2) It does not appear that the Snug Top used the rear chrome attach points used for the boot cover. These were used for the Pininfarina top, but are not actually necessary anyway.

(3) It appears that the SnugTop used the same Fiat over-center latches to attach the front of the top to the windshield frame; and some type of J-hook (like Pininfarina) to attach the top at the sides, near the pivot point for the ragtop frame. Any number of latches can be used here including (Csaba's idea) using a turnbuckle to attach the top at the sides. I'm working on some nice stainless steel turnbuckles for the Pininfarina top right now. I'll post if I get them completed.

http://www.fiatspider.com/f15/viewtopic.php?t=25290
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 CSA Abarth Replica
1981 Fiat Spider Ratrod
gbsailing41

Post by gbsailing41 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 pm

Thank you fp55scca

I went to that post and it shows what I thought might be the way to fasten it down. Now to figure the sight profile on the rubber strip around the bottom. I see he had some issues with the vinyl and did repairs luckily mine has no bad spots. Along the front I think I could use a soft top rubber but the windows is still a good question. I joined the other site too and posted the same question there. Waiting for an answer.
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:01 pm

--Geo, I just learned that apparently that SnugTop does use the rear boot hooks to secure the top to the deck. Apparently, they are not exposed.

--I concur that you can just use a front seal from a ragtop. Obviously, the same contour and function.

--For the bottom seal, you might even investigate "weather seals" at you local hardware store. At least for the interim, you could find something that would just stick on temporarily that would seal the top, and protect the mating surface on the car.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 CSA Abarth Replica
1981 Fiat Spider Ratrod
gbsailing41

Post by gbsailing41 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:15 am

I purchased this car in Calif and live in WA brought it home last week. I placed the top on without any thing on the bottom of the top and i rubbed the paint which needs to be repainted anyway. I was looking at old blogs about how others in the past reworked theirs and some use the j bolts on the side so i might do that. The seals had several different ones used so I think that just might be a trial and hope it works. I will continue to look at sites selling seals and maybe I can find the right ones.

Thank for the info
Jefco
Last Name: Aurand
First Name: Jeff

Post by Jefco » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:20 am

You could get some of the foam seal they use under a pickup truck canopy; they sell it by the roll at any canopy dealer, maybe autoparts store.
Self-adhesive on one side, waterproof, about 2" wide; stick it on the bottom edge of the top and trim the excess, use 2 layers if appropriate.
Jeff
1986 Bertone X
1972 124 Sport Coupe (2L project)
1987 Maserati Biturbo i spyder 2800
1970 Volvo 145
Ex '74 X, '62 1100D, '75 124 Sport Coupe, '70? 850 spider