Tom Dotter's passing

The all purpose conversational forum
vandor
quattromila club
Last Name:

Tom Dotter's passing

Post by vandor » Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 am

I was saddened to hear of Tom's passing, as he was still very active and was running Aspen Import Auto in Colorado. Here is his obituary:

Owner of Aspen Import Auto, Founder of the RMFLC and Automezzi, Tommie Lee Dotter (Tom), was a huge contributor to the automotive community for nearly 50 years. The world became a little darker on May 7th 2019, Tom suffered a heart attack followed by a catastrophic stroke and subsequently passed due to his injuries at 4:25PM.

Many of us knew Tom as the owner of Aspen Import Auto, where since 1983 Tom loved wrenching “on the little cars” as he put it. As an enthusiast, Tom was one of the founding members of the Automezzi in 1990, and he also started the Rocky Mountain Fiat Lancia Club here in Denver. Tom truly loved his customers and their cars, and always had a smile and some wit to share with all who came to his shop. Tom wasn’t just a mechanic, he was our friend, ready and willing to jump in when needed as a volunteer or to help those in a bind. A huge hole now exists where a light once shined brightly for us all.

Tom was a Military Veteran who attended West Pointe and later was a member of the reserves, he was a very dedicated in many areas: He was an active member of The National speleological society and caving community as a whole, and he had been involved in Boy Scouts of America where he assisted several scouts (including his son) in achieving the rank of Eagle Scout.

Tom’s children, Ginger and Matthew, worked with Tom at his shop over the years. For them the loss is even greater, as they now have lost their livelihood and have many burdens to attend to now and in the next few months. In lieu of flowers, we ask you to visit their GoFundMe page to show your support during this difficult time.

You can support the family here: https://www.gofundme.com/memorialfortom

More information, photos, etc can be found at AspenImportAuto.com or FiatRescue.com.

We encourage you to add your photos to our album on Google: https://tinyurl.com/TomDotterMemorial
Csaba
Parts: http://www.autoricambi.us
Cars: http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/Fiat.html
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'72 124 Coupe, new project, ex-Pete, ex-Eli, ex-Jack car (all Mira members)
'73 124 Wagon, no floors
sams
Last Name: Sciancalepore
First Name: Sam

Re: Tom Dotter's passing

Post by sams » Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 pm

RIP. I had the pleasure of exchanging emails with Tom on several occasions, and he was always very helpful and free with his time.
Sam Sciancalepore
Concord, CA
1981 Fiat Spider (owned since 1996)
fiatrn
Last Name: FiatRN
First Name: the

Post by fiatrn » Sat May 18, 2019 2:32 am

Tom brought awesome enthusiasm and bottomless knowledge to the world of Fiats, especially here in Denver.

I remember when he sold me the Abarth tailpipe that's on my 124. I could not afford the totally Reasonable for-sale price at the time, but after we spoke for a bit at Automezzi, he contacted me and said "your Spider needs that exhaust to be right" and offered it to me at less than half his advertised price.

He was just that nice, and just that into Fiats!

We've lost a great guy.

Jonathan
Denver, CO
RicardoIII
Last Name: Landeira
First Name: Ricardo

Post by RicardoIII » Wed May 22, 2019 10:12 am

Tom was a knowledgeable all around Italian car guy, generous with his expertise, easy to talk to, and the greatest source of Fiat tech tips and parts anywhere. I bought his longtime car, a 1972 124 Sport Coupe, which he had owned and driven for decades, a couple of years ago. The mechanicals of this little car, all redone by him through the years, are impressive and reliable beyond compare. Now fully restored cosmetically, I will remember Tom Dotter every time I turn the key and go for a ride in the Colorado mountains.
Rest in peace Tom.
Ricardo