Contaminated fuel or something else?

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
bartigue
seimila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Re: Contaminated fuel or something else?

Post by bartigue » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:13 am

I've had cars sit for a year or more and not have a fuel problem. It sounds to me like you have a pressure problem that is worse when the sediment from your tank being contaminated sits at the bottom and gets ingested into the pump.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1969, 1969, 1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1982 124 Spiders
1969, 1970 850 Spiders
77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
jseabolt
seimila club
Last Name:

Re: Contaminated fuel or something else?

Post by jseabolt » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:51 pm

bartigue wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:13 am
I've had cars sit for a year or more and not have a fuel problem. It sounds to me like you have a pressure problem that is worse when the sediment from your tank being contaminated sits at the bottom and gets ingested into the pump.
It's been maybe a couple of years but I replaced the fuel filter. I replaced the fuel pump about 20 years ago because the original pump was leaking. It might be a good time to check the fuel pressure.

Any old gas I drain out of my cars, I filter it through one of those Mr. Funnels that is supposed to remove water then run the gas in my riding mowers. I got some three year old gas right now that came out of my Fairlane I've been using with no issues.

Those Mr. Funnels do actually work. I mixed up some 50/50 gas and water. I marked the level before adding water and sure enough it strained all the water.